Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: filling pool from creek

1. Back To Top    #1

filling pool from creek

ok so i have a 15000 gal intex ultraframe with sandfilter and swg. we had to drain it over the winter and it's time to refill. since we live in the country and water is high here we fill it from our creek. I have filled if from the creek before and did get the water crystal clear after an investment in time and chemicals so i know it can be done. my question is, i found a post on the internet where someone filled their pool by pumping through their pool filter and the poster said they filled through the waste port of the filter and water filled the pool through the skimmer. so im wondering if this would be effective way of prefiltering the water and possibly save some time and money? any suggestions? i think the original poster was "duraleigh" any help much appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: filling pool from creek

What size is your filter?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't think you would want to run the water backwards through the filter. Because then when you started it in regular filter mode you will blow all the crud out.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Could you clean out your sand filter when done filling prior to turning it on for filtration?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

5. Back To Top    #5

i have the 1650 gph intex sand filter. And i can clean the filter out after filling pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

This thread is useless without pictures!

I love the idea (seriously - this is awesome) especially since I drink from the creek when on long hiking trips / kayaking (see Katadyn Hiker Pro)
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

i can supply pictures of the filter i guess but not the actual setup i'm talking about because as of yet i haven't figured out how to do it.

8. Back To Top    #8

All you should have to do is hook a hose to the front of the pump from the creek instead of from the skimmer. Assuming you are using the same pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

jblizzle has you covered.

Simply put the intake hose inside a box with a coarse screen so you don't suck up any rocks and run the intake hose from the creek to your pump. From the pump into the filter and then into the pool.

Once pool is full, simply remove the intake hose from the creek and hook it up to the intake from the pool to the pump.

Here is the huge caveat....I don't think your pump or your filter is capable of doing this job well. Your filter is small and will constantly clog and your pump probably doesn't have the "oomph" required to suck water out of the creek.

It would be easy to do with a regular sand filter of say 200 lbs and a 3/4 hp standard pump but the intex equipment probably just isn't up to the task.

It may work just fine but my bet is you will have some problems. Since you have done it once already, perhaps I am underestimating your equipment.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

or rent a pump from home depot...
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

I want to see pictures when this thing is hooked up and running!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Somebody had to do it
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.