New to pool cleaning, pool in Spain

Hi,
I am taking over the cleaning of 2 pools in Spain this summer. One pool is doing ok, the second pool I will start on seriously next week, when I get back to Spain (I am currently in England).
I am looking for advice re. the following situation:
We have an approx. 25 000 gallon pool. It has not been filtered or cleaned since last summer August and is looking a bit green. I have not yet chemically tested it. The plan is to start serious cleaning in June and our previous pool cleaner gave me instructions on what to do. 2 weeks ago, I may have made a mistake (in an attempt to give the water a kick start!) No chemicals have been added since last August and the pool has lain 'dormant' since then.
In Spain we buy 5 liter cans of winterisation chemicals, which wasn't added last winter. I decided to add the 5 liters of winterisation plus 5 liters of anti algicide into the pool and have set the filter to 3 times 2 hours daily, hoping that this would get the cleaning process started for when I return to Spain next week.

My question - will adding winterisation chemicals and anti algicide cause problems for my pool cleaning next month? The pool will not be used until mid July, so I have until then to get it right. I will chemical test it next week, to see where I stand. Does anyone know if adding winterisation in the spring is detrimental to pool water?

Hope I don't sound like a total amateur. I have one pool clean and functioning well.
Perdita

Need to know what the active ingredients in the winterization chemical's were. Around here, the "kits" sold are simply powdered shock, algaecide and TA increaser, sometimes with a metal sequesterant. (All unnecessary LOL)

Click on the Pool School button - upper right side of screen - and go to Pool School and read How to Shock Your Pool and Defeating Algae - the filters will need to run 24/7 while clearing - FYI.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Many thanks for your reply. I have also found a forum for ex pats in Spain and have asked on there, as they will know the chemicals better. I am studying the Pool School info, very helpful thanks and when I get to Spain next week, I will find out exactly what chemicals are in the winterisation, do the chemical test on the pool and then the shock treatment.
Perdita

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.