Jandy RayVac Filter

May 23, 2013
New Jersey
Hi, I have a Jandy RayVac pool cleaner. Its 9 years old. I'm not a fan of this cleaner but it came with the pool and I have a brand new head which was part of my new pool deal so rather then drop $1000 on a new cleaner I'm going to try to keep this one going. My question is, I just started opening the pool and set up the Jandy and immediately noticed it wasn't moving. The next thing I noticed, even with the valve wide open there was no pressure indicated at the filter gauge http://www.discountcleaningproducts.com ... 4AodARIA7A. That's the filter. The filter element is 9 years old but looks essentially new still. I tried the new head, the old head, I tried taking out the filter element and running it without, tried taking off the Hydro-Timer and running it etc. I pulled the pressure gauge off and sent water to the filter and the water blasted out the pressure gauge hole and I feel water blasting out the side of the pool where the cleaner attaches so I replaced the gauge thinking it must be bad. With the new gauge installed the most amount of pressure I can get is 5psi. This cleaner requires 20psi. Where is the problem? The energy filter looks fine physically, and just seems to allow water through it and through the filter so I'm not sure why the whole housing itself would ever need replacing. Why am I not getting the 20psi I need to run the RayVac?

Welcome to TFP.

It sounds like a pressure problem before the prefilter.
Are there any bubbles in the pump basket?
When running through the main filter what's the filter pressure? Also is ti about the same as last year?

Hi Bama. Thanks for responding. There has always been some bubbles in the pump basket since day one. When I get home tonight I will clean the main filter cartridges and the little pressure screen in there and check for leaks, make sure the system is tight. I just vacuumed all the Crud out of the pool last night and I have a feeling all that debris is clogging things up in the filter because the main filter pressure gauge is only reading 8psi. The green line is at 20 and the red lin 30. I'll clean out the pump basket as well. There must be a leak somewhere too, maybe at the pump basket cover. It has always been a bear to tighten. Once I do all this I'll try plugging the RayVac cleaner hole in the side of the pool and check the pressure gauge. I assume in order to get a 20+psi pressure reading at the Jandy Energy Filter gauge there has to be some back pressure. I know for sure the Hydro-Timer on the hose line isn't working properly because the back up port on it is always leaking. That could be the problem right there.

One other question....I noticed this morning that ALL the pool equipment is sweating. I don't think I've ever noticed this before. Temp last night in NJ around 75F, pool water around 65F degrees. What would cause everything to sweat??

Got it working. The pressure gauge was bad. Replaced it and now getting a good pressure reading. The Hydro-Timer was leaking as well causing a pressure loss. Replaced that and the whole unit is working as it should be. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.