New pool, New pool owner, New test kit . . . .

chaser

Aug 12, 2012
New Jersey
Hello,

New to the forum.
New IG pool completed in October, has been open for 2 weeks
Just received my TF 100 test kit.

Results:
FC = 2
CC = 0
CYA <20 (dot never even close to disappearing w/ full vial)
CH = 280
TA = 110
pH = ~7.5
I would greatly appreciate any advice!
I know CYA is low. Added some 5 day ago (bottle from store). Recommendations? PB said >60
Also, from kit instructions, it seems TA too high??

Thank you in advance.

Overall things look fairly good, nothing too far out, just get the CYA in line and keep the FC to CYA ratio correct is as you adjust it. Remember if using powdered CYA stabilizer that it takes a week or slightly more after it dissolves to fully register on the test.

Welcome to tfp, chaser :wave:

First I would stop using the mineral portion of the nature 2. You do not want to add metals to your pool. Is the system you have also a Saltwater Chlorine Generator? If it is, I think(?) you can just remove the mineral cartridge...not having to use that will save you a lot of money in the long run.

See this pool school article for the recommended levels for a swg: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

chaser said:
I know CYA is low. Added some 5 day ago (bottle from store). Recommendations? PB said >60
The granular (powdered) stuff is much cheaper.

chaser said:
lso, from kit instructions, it seems TA too high??
I wouldn't worry about TA for now, it will most likely come down since your ph will naturally rise and when you lower ph with Muriatic Acid (MA), you will also lower TA a little each time.

If you added liquid stabilizer in sufficient quantity 5 days ago, that shows on the test easily within 24 hours. There is something amiss with your CYA report.

How much did you add and was it liquid or granular?

Thank you for replys.

I only bought enough CYA to raise level 10 ppm (according to bottle), but I wasn't sure how much to trust pool store dipstick test and had read that I shouldn't overshoot so I was going to procede slow.

Makes me wonder if they put any in at start-up. How much CYA should one add at a time?

It seems SWG is having hard time keeping up with chlorine production, running 75% 12hr/day. Is that due to CYA level. Pool is in full sun ALL day. BTW water is very clear in daytime. Slightly particulate at night with lights on.

---------------------

Never added mineral cartridge to SWG, after reading this forum.

Well if you started < 20ppm and added 10ppm ... you could certainly still be < 20ppm.

If there is no reason to go through the shock process, I would add 40ppm more CYA, give it a week and test to see how close you are to the 70-80ppm recommendation and then top it off. This will certainly allow the SWG to not work as hard.

pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

chaser said:
I only bought enough CYA to raise level 10 ppm (according to bottle), but I wasn't sure how much to trust pool store dipstick test and had read that I shouldn't overshoot so I was going to procede slow.

The CYA turbidity test is a bit tricky to get accurate results.

I recommend checking the Extended Test Kit Directions. It is very common for pool owners new to CYA testing to get a high reading, and think they have more CYA than is really there.

I burned through a LOT of reagent before I learned to trust my CYA results! :testkit:

chaser said:
Never added mineral cartridge to SWG, after reading this forum.
:goodjob:

chaser said:
It seems SWG is having hard time keeping up with chlorine production, running 75% 12hr/day. Is that due to CYA level. Pool is in full sun ALL day. BTW water is very clear in daytime. Slightly particulate at night with lights on.
I agree with jbliz that your lack of cya is likely the cause of the demand on your swg. For sanity, you may want to raise your FC level up to 11 ppm tonight with bleach/liquid chlorine and do a OCLT with the swg off. This will confirm (or not) that the pool is algae free...but I would guess it is from your description of water. If by misfortune you have algae, it will be easier to eradicate at the lower cya level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.