New here, just getting started

TGM

May 22, 2013
FC 3
CC 2
pH 8.4 +
TA 260
CH, CYA - need to get a better test kit.
Have a basic 5 test kit by poolmaster.

My water has always been pretty clear but I have some reddish brown staining around the inside bottom of my liner. Going to work this weekend on vacing, it'll clear alot up (its from last years pollen and some flock that the pool store told me to add I belive). Known I've had a problem the last year with high pH and TA but decided to start this year off right and try to get it under control. Question is How much muriatic acid do I add. From what I've read add muriatic acid to drop pH and in turn bring TA down. New to all this, is that the place to start or somewhere else.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to tfp, TGM :wave:

TGM said:
New to all this, is that the place to start or somewhere else.
The place to start is:
TGM said:
need to get a better test kit.
:) See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison Many of us like the tf-100, most bang for buck.

After that (or maybe before), the first thing to do is lower ph (don't worry specifically about TA right now). It may be very high, so I would dose (using poolcalculator.com to calculate the dosing) to 7.4 with Muriatic Acid (MA) then retest after leaving the pump running for 1 hour. Then repeat dosing ph down to 7.4, followed by the hour of pump time...do this until your ph is ~7.4 after testing.

After that, you/we need to know your cya level to know what level you FC should be at.

If you haven't spent time there yet, pool school has a ton of info in it. The link is near the upper right of each page.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.