Can this liner be used?

May 22, 2013
Heyo! I'm new at all of this and I could really use some expertise...I think I'm in the right place.

My wife and I just bought an above ground pool that had been purchased new by another couple but had never been used. They bought it, had it delivered and installed professionally, and then later the same day, with literally only an inch of water in the bottom, had to take it down because it was against their Homeowner's association regulations. No above ground pools allowed.

It was purchased new and installed in early August of 2012, was disassembled the same day, and has been stored in their garage since then. I've read over and over that liners cannot be reused. Here's my question...since it literally had only an inch of water in it, was that enough to make the liner unusable to us?

The pool is an 18 x 33 oval with 54 inch depth. The liner is V-bead 25 mil in "like new" condition, however, the skimmer WAS cut in. Is it possible to line up the holes? We really like the liner and would love to use it. Any experts out there that can offer me up some knowledge would be really appreciated.

Thanks very much!
Derek

You'll never line up the skimmer opening, but you can cut it in a new place and then patch the old cutout. If you are lucky, a pool store might be able to get you a piece of liner to match from an IG install where they cut out steps.

John - thanks for the reply. Can i take it that you're saying that the liner would probably work if I could patch it and recut the skimmer hole? I think my situation is a little unique...and confusing.

thanks,
Derek

fourboysdad said:
John - thanks for the reply. Can i take it that you're saying that the liner would probably work if I could patch it and recut the skimmer hole? I think my situation is a little unique...and confusing.

thanks,
Derek

It will probably work.

I've seen the cut the skimmer opening with an inch of water on YouTube vidz. Would I do it? No but that's just me.

This past Saturday was perfect weather so we attempted the install. All went according to plan and here's the fun part: the skimmer holes lined up exactly!!! :whoot: We took some measurements beforehand and knew basically where the panel was placed in the track and somehow it lined up on the first try!!! Not gonna lie...I had my doubts, even to the point of considering buying a new liner to have on hand in case the used one didn't work. The gamble paid off i guess! :cheers:

I'm so relieved because the liner was in absolutely perfect shape and looks great! No wrinkles or anything...

Right now the solar cover is attempting to warm the water for us and we're good to go. Thanks to all who contribute to the wealth of info on here!

Peace,
Derek

And you think you're going to skirt off without showing pics huh?!!! Let's see that pool! :mrgreen:

Late to the party... When I got my current pool, I bought the "demo" from the pool store. It was fully installed at the store for shoppers to look at. When I bought it, it was the middle of the summer but I could not receive it until Labor Day weekend.

Long story short, I uninstalled the demo pool with help from the pool store employees, drove it home and set-it up with my brother's help (on a tractor leveled spot). The liner went in fine and we lined up the cut-out with no issue. It is still doing great. I have since replaced the liner due to chemical damage in my previous pool-store guided journey.

Casey - i'll snap a pic tomorrow hopefully. it's been busy with finishing up the electrical, backfilling sand around the base, and playing with this goofy aquaray automatic cleaner...i'm learning slowly but surely. Pool school was a huge help in getting my wife and I up to speed with the chemical stuff. pool is stabilized, shocked, and our little vision pro machine has both the chlorine and metal? canisters installed. water looks clear and the temp is currently in the low 70s. ph is 7.6 after bringing it down a bit. the solar cover is apparently doing its job. my boys are chomping at the bit! next is installing the ladder/steps and cleaning the inside with the ray, the regular vac, and the net. hopefully the boys are in the water tomorrow morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.