Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will someone please look at my test results?

1. Back To Top    #1

Will someone please look at my test results?

FC: 9ppm
    CC: 0.5ppm
    TC: 9.5ppm
    TA: 260
    CH: 160
    CYA: n/a

I had the CYA tube filled to the top and, while slightly cloudy, I could still see the black dot. I do have a sock hanging in the water, so I squished it several times and am planning on retesting tomorrow.

My husband, being the lazy person he is, left the pool half-filled for two weeks before filling it the rest of the way and hooking up the filter and swg. It turned green as soon as I added bleach and salt. The water is clear now, but there's still some yucky stuff on the pool bottom and walls. Also, I am not getting a reading on my ph. When I add the red drops, the water only has a slight pink tinge.
    14' x 42" Intex Ultra Frame Pool; 3,500-ish gallons(?); filled 07/05/12
    Intex 637R Cartridge Filter (1,000 gph)
    Intex SWG
    TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Will someone please look at my test results?

Hi Jonalee:

If you could still see the dot on your CYA tube after filling it to the top, your CYA is less than 20 ppm. You are doing the right thing by adding CYA to the pool. Just be aware that it can take 5-7 days for the newly added CYA to appear in your test results. For a SWG pool, you want to aim for a CYA of between 60 - 80 ppm.

As for your pH reading (or lack of it), here's a couple of possible reasons for that:
    • 1. Your FC of 9 ppm is basically at shock level for your current CYA of < 20. High FC levels will throw off the test results.
      2. How old is your pH reagent? If it's over a year old and was stored in a non-climate controlled area, it may have gone bad. One way to tell is to look and see if the pH reagent (R-0004 or R-0014) dye stains the plastic bottle it is stored in. If it does, it has likely gone bad.
      3. Your TA is high, but we could make more sense of that if we knew the pH.
      4. On the plus side, your CH looks great!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yucky stuff on the walls sounds like algae. Have you read the shock process in Pool School? You might wantto run through it before jacking the CYA level up. It's easier to do the process with lower CYA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

What they said, there is no sense in testing for CYA until at least a week (maybe 9 days) after it fully dissolves in the sock
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Jonalee
    My husband, being the lazy person he is, left the pool half-filled for two weeks before filling it the rest of the way and hooking up the filter and swg. It turned green as soon as I added bleach and salt. The water is clear now, but there's still some yucky stuff on the pool bottom and walls. Also, I am not getting a reading on my ph. When I add the red drops, the water only has a slight pink tinge.
    Cloudy green or clear?

Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Jonalee
    but there's still some yucky stuff on the pool bottom and walls.
    That yucky stuff could either be algae or other organic staining (more likely) or metal stains (less likely). You can determine which as follows: If you have a trichlor puck around, rub it on a section of the stain. If it fades, then the stain is organic (algae). If it does not fade, then it is very likely metal. If you don't have a trichlor puck handy but have a Vitamin C tablet, you can rub that on a section of the stain. If it fades, then it's metal stains. Otherwise it is organic. I would determine this before adding any more CYA to the pool.

If you find that it is organic, I would start the shock process. If shocking is necessary, I would not add any more CYA until you complete the shock process. You will need to add bleach as your SWG will not provide enough chlorine for the proper shock level.

After shocking, then you would aim for a CYA between 60 - 80 ppm for ongoing maintenance for your SWG.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT

7. Back To Top    #7

I think old ph reagent from my hth kit was the cause. I tested this morning with my new TF-100 ph reagent and it looks like it's somewhere between 7.2 and 7.5.

As far as the yucky stuff, the pool had turned clear green when I added bleach, but now has mainly cleared up except for some dark loose stuff on the bottom. It's so fine that I can't vacuum it up because as soon as I get close to it, the water actually pushes it away. I've been running my filter continuously. I don't have any dichlor tablets, as I was just adding bleach until the swg was able to keep up.
    14' x 42" Intex Ultra Frame Pool; 3,500-ish gallons(?); filled 07/05/12
    Intex 637R Cartridge Filter (1,000 gph)
    Intex SWG
    TF100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Keep running the filter until the remaining debris is cleared up. You may have to brush a couple of times per day to keep as much of that stuff suspended in the water so that the filter can capture it. By default, most debris either floats on the water surface or settles to the bottom - comparatively little debris is naturally suspended in the water. By keeping the filter running and brushing, you will stir that stuff up and keep more of it suspended in the water.

I would also test FC and CC as well as run an OCLT (link in my sig) to make sure you do not have to shock (see The Shock Process link in my sig)