Can Pentair Quad De cope with green pool?

cme4dk

May 22, 2013
I need a new filter as old sand filter died - valve and lateral gone. I'm keen on the Pentair Quad DE but the pool guy is dead against it as he says where I am in north TN surrounded by trees and with the pool only open half the year that the Quad will not work as well as a sand filter. He told me the pool will be green on opening it and I will never manage to get it clear with the Quad as he said I will be constantly trying to clean the cartridge and will need spares to use but with a sand filter all I need it to backwash it.

Is he right? I have used a sand filter happily but like the idea of the cartridge and DE.

Please can anyone comment on this topic
Thanks

Filters, regardless of type, have nothing to do with removing algae.

Algae is killed and/or prevented by adequate levels of chlorine and proper water management.

Filters simply remove solid debris in the water and will do so until they are plugged up, then they must be cleaned/backwashed.

What your guy is implying is that you WILL have algae problems and that it is more work to clear an algae laden caqrtridge pool than a sand pool....basically somewhat correct.

That said both types are just fine for any pool and will perform quite well if you don't ask too much of them.

I have used a sand filter happily but like the idea of the cartridge and DE
What appeals to you about DE or cartridge when you are already familiar with and like the capabilities of sand?

duraleigh said:
Filters, regardless of type, have nothing to do with removing algae.

Algae is killed and/or prevented by adequate levels of chlorine and proper water management.

Filters simply remove solid debris in the water and will do so until they are plugged up, then they must be cleaned/backwashed.

What your guy is implying is that you WILL have algae problems and that it is more work to clear an algae laden caqrtridge pool than a sand pool....basically somewhat correct.

That said both types are just fine for any pool and will perform quite well if you don't ask too much of them.

I have used a sand filter happily but like the idea of the cartridge and DE
What appeals to you about DE or cartridge when you are already familiar with and like the capabilities of sand?

Thanks for the reply. I think the pool guy was saying that the cartridge would end up covered in gunk that would be hard to clean off without a lot of work - he was saying that you'd need spare cartridges so you could clean them while still have the filter operating whereas you'd just backwash the sand. But couldn't you just backwash the Quad without tearing it down?

I guess I like the idea of cleaner water with the DE but I suppose I could add some to the sand filter?
Would you go for the sand or the Quad if it was your choice?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.