Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Boiling water in pool pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Boiling water in pool pump

Yeah I figured that subject would get your attention.

I uncovered the pool a couple days ago and fired up the pump. Everything seemed fine - enough suction to run the pool cleaner.

Today I went to check on the pump and I see there's no water moving. One of the knobs that holds the basket lid closed is not on - I think someone must have cleaned the leaves out and not screwed them both on, and I guess what happened is the pump ran all day with no water moving.

There was a bit of water in the pump basket and it was darn near (or perhaps actually) boiling. Even an hour later the water is too hot to stick my hand in. I guess the whole inside of the thing heated up quite a bit running dry all day.

So, now what. I don't know if this has seriously damaged the thing, or if I can just seal it back up, turn it on, and expect it to be fine.

The motor still runs, and it sounds okay .. but I didn't let it run long enough to prime. (It always seems to take a long time to prime - many minutes - don't know how normal that is).

-- Steve
    19K gal, 16x32 in-ground vinyl, Hayward pump, sand filter, manual chlorine, Baracuda G3 cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Boiling water in pool pump

The heat from running without prime can easily ruin the pump, but sometimes you get lucky. You won't really know until it cools down and you can prime it properly and see how things go.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Has the hot water distorted the filter basket or the lid so that it will not seal? If not you may be OK. I had a similar experience with my previous pool.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

You might have leaks from melted PVC where it attaches to the pump. Had the same problem and I was much surprised to find the pump working fine (after fixing the leaks)
    Walnut Creek, CA. 18k gallon Pebble Sheen + 1.5k gallon IG spa, 1.5hp whisperflo main pump, Pentair clean and clear 420, Intellichlor IC20, Polaris 360 w/booster,Jandy lite 2 natural gas, plus solar with Heliomatic 5000 controller and 3/4 hp booster

5. Back To Top    #5

Well this sounds promising.

The PVC heading up to the sand filter was a bit less stiff than usual but nothing looked melted. The filter basket is okay. So maybe I got lucky. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

If it won't prime tomorrow - what then? Is this a repair or a replace?
    19K gal, 16x32 in-ground vinyl, Hayward pump, sand filter, manual chlorine, Baracuda G3 cleaner