Drain water after rain

May 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
I am a new pool owner. I have a fiberglass/in-ground pool with a Hayward pump and a Hayward filter Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filter model C12002. We are receiving a lot of rain here in central Florida and my pool water level is above the accepted level. I need help on how to drain the pool. I do not see any backwash capabilities in my system. I wonder if draining can be done with my pump and my filter. Thanks.

Some pictures of your pump pad and plumbing setup would go a long way it helping us help you. If your pump doesn't allow output to waste you could always create a simple siphon with a vacuum hose. The hose just needs to reach somewhere you can drain to that is lower than your desired water level.

JesseWV said:
Some pictures of your pump pad and plumbing setup would go a long way it helping us help you. If your pump doesn't allow output to waste you could always create a simple siphon with a vacuum hose. The hose just needs to reach somewhere you can drain to that is lower than your desired water level.

Ok, I believe there is a drain in my filter. I am including photos of my setup. Please advise on how to drain. Thank you.

Attachments

• photo(14).JPG
    photo(14).JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 267
  • photo(15).JPG
    photo(15).JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 252
  • photo(3).JPG
    photo(3).JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 247
Don't open that drain plug while the pump is running!

It will only drain the filter anyway.

I don't see a way to use the pool pump to drain the pool from those pictures. If there isn't enough elevation change to start a siphon, you'll need to buy or rent a pump.

I don't have any direct experience with cartridge filters, but it looks like you could use that drain plug as a location to add a cut off valve and bleed off part of the flow. It should be a 1.5 inch NPT plug, Hayward makes a maintainable 1.5 inch valve with female threads on one end and male threads on the other that should easily screw into that hole. You can then get a roll up "blue" discharge hose that will connect to the other side. Or if you want something more durable, you can often find out of certification date fire hoses that have never been used from cabinet installations on ebay for $25-$40 which is the same ballpark price as the thin blue hoses (maybe a bit more), just beaware fire hose threaded connectors don't usually use standard pipe thread so you may need a $10 NPT to NST or NH thread adapter.

Ike

p.s. correction after looking at the parts diagram it looks like the plug is likely 1/2 or 3/4 inch, not sure if it is before or after the filter cartridge though, since it has an o-ring it is also likely parallel thread, still Hayward likely has a drain valve replacement for it, too many people have indoor mechanical rooms that require remote draining for them to make a filter that has to be drained directly.

Richard320 said:
Don't open that drain plug while the pump is running!

It will only drain the filter anyway.

I don't see a way to use the pool pump to drain the pool from those pictures. If there isn't enough elevation change to start a siphon, you'll need to buy or rent a pump.

Hello Richard320,

I am attaching another picture of the pump maybe that will help. Thank you.

Attachments

• photo(13).JPG
    photo(13).JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 245
  • photo(12).JPG
    photo(12).JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 241
Can take a picture of the top and left side of the multiport that comes out of the top of the filter?

If there's nothing there that can help you could insert a tee and valve on the long piece of PVC that goes across from your pump output.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.