Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drain water after rain

1. Back To Top    #1

Drain water after rain

I am a new pool owner. I have a fiberglass/in-ground pool with a Hayward pump and a Hayward filter Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filter model C12002. We are receiving a lot of rain here in central Florida and my pool water level is above the accepted level. I need help on how to drain the pool. I do not see any backwash capabilities in my system. I wonder if draining can be done with my pump and my filter. Thanks.
    Brand: San Juan Pools, Type: Fiberglass, Model: Mandalay Bay (Pool/Spa combination)
    Width: 11'8", Length: 25' 1", Depth: 5' 7", Area:198 ft2, Volume: 6,600 G, 2 Returns, 5 Spa Jets
    Pump: Hayward 2 Speed/ 1.5 hp, Filter: Hayward C-1200, Filter Size: 120sf
    CompuPool Salt Gen., Timer: 2 spd Intermatic Multi Purpose Control

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drain water after rain

Some pictures of your pump pad and plumbing setup would go a long way it helping us help you. If your pump doesn't allow output to waste you could always create a simple siphon with a vacuum hose. The hose just needs to reach somewhere you can drain to that is lower than your desired water level.
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, pictures would be helpful. I'm also suprised that your filter valve doesn't have a Rinse, Waste, or Backwash setting. Any of those would flush water from your pool.
    Spartan Pool 25k IG, Vinyl Liner, Hayward s200 Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump 1HP

4. Back To Top    #4

My pool has a spigot on the return side at the pad. I attach a hose, turn on the pump, open the spigot and drain down the street.
    Walnut Creek, CA. 18k gallon Pebble Sheen + 1.5k gallon IG spa, 1.5hp whisperflo main pump, Pentair clean and clear 420, Intellichlor IC20, Polaris 360 w/booster,Jandy lite 2 natural gas, plus solar with Heliomatic 5000 controller and 3/4 hp booster

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JesseWV
    Some pictures of your pump pad and plumbing setup would go a long way it helping us help you. If your pump doesn't allow output to waste you could always create a simple siphon with a vacuum hose. The hose just needs to reach somewhere you can drain to that is lower than your desired water level.

Ok, I believe there is a drain in my filter. I am including photos of my setup. Please advise on how to drain. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brand: San Juan Pools, Type: Fiberglass, Model: Mandalay Bay (Pool/Spa combination)
    Width: 11'8", Length: 25' 1", Depth: 5' 7", Area:198 ft2, Volume: 6,600 G, 2 Returns, 5 Spa Jets

6. Back To Top    #6

Don't open that drain plug while the pump is running!

It will only drain the filter anyway.

I don't see a way to use the pool pump to drain the pool from those pictures. If there isn't enough elevation change to start a siphon, you'll need to buy or rent a pump.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't have any direct experience with cartridge filters, but it looks like you could use that drain plug as a location to add a cut off valve and bleed off part of the flow. It should be a 1.5 inch NPT plug, Hayward makes a maintainable 1.5 inch valve with female threads on one end and male threads on the other that should easily screw into that hole. You can then get a roll up "blue" discharge hose that will connect to the other side. Or if you want something more durable, you can often find out of certification date fire hoses that have never been used from cabinet installations on ebay for $25-$40 which is the same ballpark price as the thin blue hoses (maybe a bit more), just beaware fire hose threaded connectors don't usually use standard pipe thread so you may need a $10 NPT to NST or NH thread adapter.

Ike

p.s. correction after looking at the parts diagram it looks like the plug is likely 1/2 or 3/4 inch, not sure if it is before or after the filter cartridge though, since it has an o-ring it is also likely parallel thread, still Hayward likely has a drain valve replacement for it, too many people have indoor mechanical rooms that require remote draining for them to make a filter that has to be drained directly.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Don't open that drain plug while the pump is running!

It will only drain the filter anyway.

I don't see a way to use the pool pump to drain the pool from those pictures. If there isn't enough elevation change to start a siphon, you'll need to buy or rent a pump.
    Hello Richard320,

I am attaching another picture of the pump maybe that will help. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Back To Top    #9

Can take a picture of the top and left side of the multiport that comes out of the top of the filter?

If there's nothing there that can help you could insert a tee and valve on the long piece of PVC that goes across from your pump output.
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

10. Back To Top    #10

Fixed this problem by buying a $60 pump. These pumps are used to drain water from any place. It's working good so far. Thanks for all the suggestions.