PSI reading 10 when pool pump is off

May 22, 2013
I had my pool professionally opened and now I am having a problem with the pump. When the pump is off the pressue gauge is reading 10 still and not going back to 0psi. It seems there is alot of air swishing around in the pump. I also noticed some water coming out from the filter water release valve. Whwn the pool pump is running the pressure goes up to 20-25 psi and the pump gets really hot. The normal psi for my pool is around 10-12. I can't figure out how to get the air out of the pump and why is it still picking up a reading when the pump is off. I have an older Jacuzzi filter so there is no air release valve on it. Can anyone help me on this? I don't want to pay big bucks if it's something simple I can look at. Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

You gauge is broken, you should get a new one. They aren't very expensive.

What kind of filter do you have (sand, DE, or cartridge)?

Ait in the pump strainer basket usually means a suction side air leak, though it can also happen when the water level is too low and the skimmer(s) draw in air.

Welcome! :wave:

Bluevivid said:
I have a sand filter. I am new to all this pool stuff so bare with me. Is a suction side air leak meaning the hose that connects to the pump?
We have no way to know. If you have an above-ground pool, it's possible you have a hose. Take a few minutes to fill out your signature. It saves us asking questions.

There should be a clear lid on a housing attached to the pump. Make sure the O-ring underneath is clean and lubricated and that the lid is on tight. There is probably a small plug or two on the bottom of the pump, on that same housing. Make sure they're not loose. Then make sure the water level is halfway up the skimmer opening and the little trap door swings freely. Those are the most common air leaks.

The gauge is really easy to change. You can buy one at the hardware store. All you need is a wrench and some plumber's tape to change it. Power off, of course.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.