Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH + now cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

PH + now cloudy

Hi Folks,

Been learning from TFP for the last few weeks and my pool was all about fixed until I added 3lbs of PH+ this morning. Now water is very cloudy and has been since adding the PH. As soon as I added you could see it just clouding up. It was crystal clear right before I added. Probably too much at once, I guess that is another lessoned learned.

Here are my current readings:

FC - 6.0
    CC - 0
    PH - 7.4
    TA - 110
    CH - 150
    CYA - 50

I guess the question is should I just leave it alone and see if it clears up overnight? Filter has been running for about 8hrs since I added the PH+ and still cloudy.

Thanks for the assistance.
    20,000 Gallon Vinyl, Jacuzzi Sand filter, 1.5hp Heyward pump
    Heyward pool cleaner, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: PH + now cloudy

Welcome to TFP!!!

I would leave the pump on and see what happens overnight ... should clear up if it is not an algae problem.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Probably too much too fast. What exactly was the pH+ you added? Sodium Carbonate/Soda Ash? And is that pH reading before or after you dumped the stuff in? I sure hope it was after, because that's perfect.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep that reading is after the dump. It was Sodium Carbonate that I added.

5. Back To Top    #5

Clarity improved very little over night. Water looks like fabric softener, I guess would be the best way to describe it.

PH is now 7.6 and TA is 120. CC is .2 but I guess it could have been .2 yesterday as well since I used the 10Ml method yesterday and this morning I went and used the 25Ml method. But no chlorine loss last night.

Since chemicals look fine, I guess I will continue to run filter and see if it improve. Unless, anyone has any suggestions I could try.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Leave it alone and keep your FC up. The FC will burn it off in time.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7
    South Florida

I got the same reaction. Yikes!!!
    In my case, though, I'd apparently somehow misread the test results which were pretty perfect, and thought the pH was low. It really wasn't, but my adding Washing Soda pushed the pH up to 8. It took about 24 oz. of MA to bring it back to range for my pool. And yes, I felt like a fool.
    Good luck.
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!