Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AGP Pump question

1. Back To Top    #1

AGP Pump question

My local store has a Jacuzzi Filter and Pump System that is coming with the Doughboy pool we are installing. It is a 1 1.5 Hp Self Priming W/ Run Dry feature Single speed. Its also coming with a Jacuzzi 300lb sand Filter.

The pump they said is made for inground application. Is this an issue? Im still studying the chemical ABC's and dont want to miss anything with my Pump and Filter kit...

They had some other options but this is what comes with it. They say it is the best that they offer. Just making sure this isnt a bunch of smoke being blown.
    12x24 Doughboy. 8700 gallons~ 2 HP Dyanmo Pump~ 26" Sand Dollar Filter~TF 100 test kit~ Zodiac Ranger AGP automatic cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AGP Pump question

What size/how many gallons of pool are we talking about?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry, 12x24. Think it figures 8500 gallons.
    12x24 Doughboy. 8700 gallons~ 2 HP Dyanmo Pump~ 26" Sand Dollar Filter~TF 100 test kit~ Zodiac Ranger AGP automatic cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

That's plenty big enough sand filter. Pump HP is overkill...........I have a 1.5 on my 16x32 and it's way too much. Someone will be along to answer the above/inground pump part for you.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Usually IG pumps are "bigger" than the equivalent HP AG pumps so given the size of the pump, it could be over sized for the filter. Is the pump paired with the filter as a combo unit? Can you post the part#s for the pump and filter?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

They have them paired as a set but don't know if they truely are a set. Let me obtain specific part nunbers to see that helps. He did tell me this is the set up they run on the majority of their IG installs.

7. Back To Top    #7

Now I do recall a pentair SD 60. 1.5 Hp single speed pump paired with a pentair 250lb sand filter. That was also available at same price.

8. Back To Top    #8

The Pentair combo would be a better system. It uses the Dynamo pump which is a good pump. Also, the 1.5 HP pump that comes with the combo is SPL rated which is the same as the 1 HP up rated Dynamo (just marketing). So it actually isn't all that big of a pump. It fits nicely with that filter and is more than enough for your pool. They make a two speed version that would be a better choice and allow you to run on low speed most of the time.

PNSD0060DO2260 or PNSD0060DP2160

Identical systems but the 2260 is labeled as 1 HP while the 2160 is labeled as 1.5 HP. The pumps are actually identical, just the labels are different.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater