Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What's that valve near the filter, and what position?

1. Back To Top    #1

What's that valve near the filter, and what position?

I'm taking over care of my pool from an expensive pool guy and learning everything I can.

What's the name for the valve that's next to the Heyward filter (pic attached)? And what position should it be in? I only see two settings: open and lock. The pool guy always seems to have left it on open, but is that right?

[attachment=0:3e64k877]IMG_7143.jpg[/attachment:3e64k877]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley)
    15k gallon in-ground (IG) pool (I believe it's plaster)
    DE filter (Heyward), using cellulose instead of DE
    Jandy APURE1400 3-port salt cell

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What's that valve near the filter, and what position?

That is a slide backwash valve. It has two positions: normal operation, and backwash.

If water is getting sucked in the skimmer and is coming out the returns, it's in the right position. The other position sucks from the skimmer, reverses the flow through the filter, and spits the dirty water out the waste port.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

That is a Backwash valve (push-pull type). I can not remember exactly how they work (as far as the turning to lock), but when you want to backwash you have to turn the pump off and pull the handle up and then turn the pump back on.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Technically it is a "gate valve" the inards of the valve enable you to redirect water flow from 4 pipes into 2 different paths. When down, it blows water in the bottom and then out the top to your pool. Twist and pull it up, and it blow water in the top and out the bottom to your backwash pipe. This blows out the dirt.
    29k gallon IG guninte lagoon shape.

5. Back To Top    #5

I appreciate all the replies, but didn't actually get the main answer to my question.

I did figure out how to backwash it (lift the valve and turn it). But during regular operation, what position should it stay in? Open or Lock?
    Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley)
    15k gallon in-ground (IG) pool (I believe it's plaster)
    DE filter (Heyward), using cellulose instead of DE
    Jandy APURE1400 3-port salt cell