Adding DE - cloudiness at deep end?

ddas

May 21, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I added my recommended dose of DE to the skimmer today, and at the bottom of the deep end, started to see a large cloud of white. (What is that thing at the bottom of the deep end called? Looks circular -- what's the name for it?)

Photo attached, but the cloud was much bigger before I was able to grab my camera. Is this normal? Do I need to do anything unusual?

[attachment=0:20nis0op]IMG_7140.jpg[/attachment:20nis0op]

Attachments

• IMG_7140.jpg
    IMG_7140.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 62
I did the same thing a few weeks ago!!!

Your floor drain is plumbed to the bottom of your skimmer in the 2nd hole. If you poured too fast the heavy DE sunk down the floor drain pipe because all the suction was going through the skimmer. I just put my skimmer float diverter back on with the flap to all floor, and sucked the DE back up (with a little brushing).

You just need to pour the DE slower and directly into the pipe heading to the pump.

I had forgotten to turn off my wall suction line, so the skimmer was not pulling as hard as usual and I must have poured it in too fast.

Pretty pool!

Did you get rid of your cloud? I hope it was just putting in the DE too fast.

That happened to me, right when I first found this website. Turns out one of my filter baffles had a hole in it (they are inside of the filter housing). So I had to take apart the filter and replace it and the problem was fixed! Doing that really helped me understand the filter system.

Good luck!

It has since cleared up. That cloud eventually dissipated and I was able to vacuum up some white powder residue at the bottom of the pool (presumably DE). Thanks everybody!

Admittedly I did pour the DE in very fast this time -- that's the most likely culprit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.