Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemical Start up Question.

1. Back To Top    #1

Chemical Start up Question.

OK, pool install is about to be scheduled. On initial start up chemicially what quantites of BBB materials should i stock up on? Due to spending a few thousand on the pool then the ever popular kids pool **** ill be forced into purchasing by the wife, if i can i would like to possibiliy start stocking a few chemicals now. Im in process of ordering a TFP recommended Test kit, but any recommended stocks of other products would be helpful to my budget.
    12x24 Doughboy. 8700 gallons~ 2 HP Dyanmo Pump~ 26" Sand Dollar Filter~TF 100 test kit~ Zodiac Ranger AGP automatic cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chemical Start up Question.

Welcome to the forum!

With the exception of a few gallons of bleach, I wouldn't buy anything. Until the pool is filled and you get a test result,you really don't know what you need. Unless it's incredibly inconvenient to get to a grocery/hardware store, I'd just wait. Maybe spend the time pricing the various chemicals at various stores so you can ensure you're getting the cheapest prices.

One thing you can do is test your fill water when you get your kit. That will help predict what you might need.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

+1 about everything smykowski just said
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the fast responses. I have read and even printed alot of the pool school of to keep in the car for casual football/cheerleading practice reading. How long is too long to store Bleach? Im a super thrifty shopper and like to stock up when i can if a good deal presents its self.
    12x24 Doughboy. 8700 gallons~ 2 HP Dyanmo Pump~ 26" Sand Dollar Filter~TF 100 test kit~ Zodiac Ranger AGP automatic cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Good question. Bleach breaks down in the bottle, higher concentrations break down faster, and heat and light accelerate the process. That said, if you can store it in a cool dark place, you'll make it last a lot longer. I'll try to find the chlorine halflife chart chemgeek posted to give something a little more specific.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months

6. Back To Top    #6

Found it. Click on the link in this post.