opening with Hayward ec50 DE

May 22, 2013
Hi,

I am opening my pool and have had to replace filter. Was using cartridge Hayward in the past and now have Hayward EC50 DE. Everything seemed to have gone well installing new filter and following startup instructions. Water was not green, dirt on the bottom which is centering nicely due to the filter flow and slowly clearing up.

My problem or rather question is that the flow drops very low after only about an hour. It will immediately return to normal after re energizing the filter with the pump method and appears to be working normally. It seems to me though that this should not have to be done so often. I did the back flush once thinking there was some issue there but no.

Is this normal during the opening part as the pool is extra dirty and the filter is so fine? Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Yup, sounds pretty normal. DE is very efficient at catching stuff, so it will clog quickly. As long as the pressure drops after bumping (and eventually backwashing), then it seems like it is working.

BTW, you should bump when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure (after a backwash). If bumping does not lower the pressure, then you likely need to backwash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.