Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: opening with Hayward ec50 DE

1. Back To Top    #1

opening with Hayward ec50 DE

I am opening my pool and have had to replace filter. Was using cartridge Hayward in the past and now have Hayward EC50 DE. Everything seemed to have gone well installing new filter and following startup instructions. Water was not green, dirt on the bottom which is centering nicely due to the filter flow and slowly clearing up.

My problem or rather question is that the flow drops very low after only about an hour. It will immediately return to normal after re energizing the filter with the pump method and appears to be working normally. It seems to me though that this should not have to be done so often. I did the back flush once thinking there was some issue there but no.

Is this normal during the opening part as the pool is extra dirty and the filter is so fine? Any ideas are appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: opening with Hayward ec50 DE

Welcome to TFP!!!

Yup, sounds pretty normal. DE is very efficient at catching stuff, so it will clog quickly. As long as the pressure drops after bumping (and eventually backwashing), then it seems like it is working.

BTW, you should bump when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure (after a backwash). If bumping does not lower the pressure, then you likely need to backwash.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

Yep normal, as Jason said DE is very good at filtering so clogs up fast, the other extreme is having a sand filter and taking weeks to clear upon opening.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. Got about 96% of leaves out and seems to be catching up. The bumping seems to work fine. Would be nice when the interval increases while at work.

Thanks again.