bleach and solar cover

May 15, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I will be trying the BBB method (currently using trichlor pucks) and want to know if I should remove my solar coverfrom my AGP , as opposed to just rolling it back a bit, before adding bleach in front of the return. If I do, how long should I keep it off before putting it back on? My goal is to keep the new solar cover at least a full 2 seasons. My first cover started shedding all of its bubbles during the middle of the 2nd season and was shredding by the end. Thanks.

I just flip back the cover so that I can access the return flow and put my chems in there. Then I flip the cover back over the water. With an appropriate amount of FC for your cya level and proper ph balance, your cover should be fine. Most solar covers do not last more than a couple years regardless.

The only reason to take the cover off is to allow the pool to "breathe" during shocking. All you're doing is allowing the process to offgas the nitrogen from the reactions. If your pool is clean to start with, there are no chloramines to break down, and no nitrogen gas to get rid of. As for structural damage, the bleach is no more damaging to the cover than to a liner. I plan on leaving my solar cover on for the vast majority of the time this summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.