Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: bleach and solar cover

1. Back To Top    #1

bleach and solar cover

I will be trying the BBB method (currently using trichlor pucks) and want to know if I should remove my solar coverfrom my AGP , as opposed to just rolling it back a bit, before adding bleach in front of the return. If I do, how long should I keep it off before putting it back on? My goal is to keep the new solar cover at least a full 2 seasons. My first cover started shedding all of its bubbles during the middle of the 2nd season and was shredding by the end. Thanks.
    5500 gal. Plastimayd & Vynall AG (12' x 18' oval), Hayward Swimpro Voyager Cartridge filter & pump, Hayward H150 heater
    TF 100 Test Kit, converted to BBB in 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: bleach and solar cover

I just flip back the cover so that I can access the return flow and put my chems in there. Then I flip the cover back over the water. With an appropriate amount of FC for your cya level and proper ph balance, your cover should be fine. Most solar covers do not last more than a couple years regardless.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds good, thanks.
    5500 gal. Plastimayd & Vynall AG (12' x 18' oval), Hayward Swimpro Voyager Cartridge filter & pump, Hayward H150 heater
    TF 100 Test Kit, converted to BBB in 2013

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    I just flip back the cover so that I can access the return flow and put my chems in there. Then I flip the cover back over the water.
    Same here -- no problems.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]