Adding water every other day is normal?

chef06

May 22, 2013
Hi new member here! Does water temperature and wind increase evaporation rate?

I dont remember needing to refill as often last summer, however, I'm keeping the pool temp at around 87 due to a new solar install and it has been fairly windy this spring here in Vegas. The pool level has been dropping about 2 inches per day and the air temps have been in the mid 90's the last 2 weeks with brisk winds.

Any ideas or could I have a leak?

Thanks, glad to be here!

Todd

chef06:

Welcome to TFP :wave:

I would also suggest keeping a log. Here's what I do: Once a week, I record that day's test results, any top-offs and backwashes I did that week (if any), and the general weather conditions (temps & rainfall that week). Over time, you will have data to spot anomalies.

Been there with your problem and mine was a leak. I have a Vinyl pool that had a 1/4 inch slit in it and I lost about 1 1/2 " every 24 hrs.

It drove me nuts, I confirmed it with a bucket test, I check the light with dye, I made a measuring stick and log to track , I check the drain with dye to see if it was leaking due to bad plumbing,I presure tested the lines.

I was consumed with finding this stupid leak!

It ended up being a small half moon cut, about 1/4 in. About the same size as my wifes big toe.
Near the steps. Not a hole so don't look for a hole. It was more like a led color pencil mark. Maybe a slit is a better term. Very hard to see!

Vacume the pool and put the swim mask on and cover every inch. Start in the shallow in.

I blamed the cut on my wife's toe nail and that's my story. Of course she denied it. " I was never in that area of the pool" LOL

Ok, its looks like I might have exaggerated a bit. While I didn't plug any inlets or drains I thought I'd just do a bucket comparison test. In 3 days evaporation from the bucket is 1 1/4" while the drop in the pool has been 1 3/4" with average swimmer use. Its been in the 90's and pretty windy here and pool temp has been holding at about 85 running through the solar panels. Guess I just panicked a little when I thought I was losing 2" per day.

Do these numbers look normal now or should the pool level be the same as the bucket? Havent done the food coloring test yet around the light but that was going to be next on my list.

Happy Memorial Day All !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.