Liquidator in Old Pool?

May 16, 2013
Barto, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Folks, I'm a newbie to pool maintenance but have had a spa for 20+ years so I can sort of relate. I have an old Master Pool (post WW2 but really not sure of age) which may possibly have metal pipe in the system. Just purchased home last fall. Opened 4 weeks ago. Should I be concerned about running a Liquidator or an erosion device? Not sure of the corrosion factor on the metal. The previous owner had 3 floaters which I am using in addition to shocking with LQ in heavy doses. The cover was on for 3.5 years so I'm getting the black swamp back to a pool. I'm considering a Liquidator once I get the water straight.

That's pretty good thinking, IMO. Chlorine is pretty aggressive and, while it is probably diluted enough as it goes out your return lines, I would be a bit cautious, too.

An easy alternative doesn't readily come to mind unless you could "T" with PVC off your return line and then put the device on that PVC line to the pool. I doubt you can easily get it under the decking and into the pool so that's a complete long shot.

I wouldn't be worried about using the LQ (liquidator) on that pool. I'd be a lot more worried about using a tablet feeder because of the low pH of Trichlor (not to mention the rising CYA).

You're only raising the FC of the water flowing past the LQ injection point a couple ppm so the high pH of the bleach won't be a concern. (besides it's already diluted inside the LQ before it even gets to the plumbing)

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I should have stated that the metal plumbing, if any is probably minimized as the plumbing in the pool house is 2" PVC which is then joined to 1.5" black (ABS?) pipe with rubber couplings. I'm in the process of reworking the plumbing to get rid of some of the 90's they used with the abs. I'm also going to test the unused lines which are plugged in the pool house. I currently have two skimmers and a floor drain on two separate runs and the returns (3) are in the floor of the pool. I'm thinking it may have been a cleaning system back in the day. I also have numerous return around the parameter of the pool about 2-3 feet down I think these my be the capped pipes. I'm a big believer now of liquid chlorine and your BBB method so the Liquidator is probably in the future. Still working on getting the last of the gunk out but it is clearing up nicely. This process is not easy with cartridge filters but I understand the tradeoff in water loss from backwashing. At one point I was ready to pump it until I got the cost to refill it. I'm buying a water tanker when I retire. Looks like a good gig to me.

Sorry! I just noticed your pool size in your signature. I wouldn't recommend the LQ for a pool that size. I'd recommend an injection pump and tank system. An LQ is going to have a hard time keeping enough FC in that pool and you'll have to refill it every few days.

Ok, thanks. I'll look into that. For now I'm just adding LC as I need it. I guess they liked big pools back in the day. My father use to build commercial pools many years ago. I just laughed when I saw the size of this (again it came with the house we bought back in November), any larger and it would have lanes painted on the bottom. It's actually bigger than some motels I've stayed in. Lol Should be fun once I get the water clear and get comfortable with the water testing. I did just get the K2006 kit, as I'm getting to familiar with the folks at my local pool store.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.