Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Inground pool losing it's prime

1. Back To Top    #1

Inground pool losing it's prime

I have a fiberglass pool, and last year we relocated our pumps, and they are now at least 1 foot above the pool level. Last year when we had to change the filters out of the filter housing, we had to blast the pipes with water to get it primed again. This year, we just opened the pool less than a week ago and we cannot keep the pool primed. A friend of our stopped by yesterday to look at it and suggested that we close the valves going into the filter before opening the chlorinator, filter housing or pump box. We ran the pool for a couple of hours and then shut it off. When I went to turn the pump on again today (nothing was opened since running the pool yesterday: ie: filter housing, chlorinator or pump box), and the pump was not primed again. I closed the valves and blasted the water into everything again, and it's running ok.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a 1hp Hayward Superpump.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: Inground pool losing it's prime

It sounds like you have a suction side air leak, the most common place to find them is the big pump basket O-ring, try lubricating it with silicone lube and see if that helps.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Inground pool losing it's prime

Since you just opened it and it's not priming you may want to check the pump drain plugs to make sure they're sealed along with the pump basket lid o-ring that Isaac mentioned.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit