Need to shock SWG pool, also need CYA, use Trichlor/Dichlor?

Dixit

Jul 16, 2012
Duluth, GA (ATL)
Just wondering if this a cheaper/feasible option. Im running low on my CYA granules, barely 1lb left, need to order some of that. But was wondering since I need to raise my CYA anyways (its 40ppm right now) and I need to shock my pool, what if I just used Trichlor or Dhiclor (poolcalculator.com shows 33oz of Trichlor or 54oz of Dichlor) to kill two birds with one stone? Trichlor shows it will raise the CYA about 10ppm, Dichlor will raise it 15ppm.

Just wondering if this is just pointless if the cost of Trichlor/Dichlor outweighs buying liquid chlorine and me just buying the CYA (additional amount I need) separately. BTW I don't have any Trichlor/Dichlor sitting so I would have to buy it, that's why Im asking if its even worth doing.

Dixit

Re: Need to shock SWG pool, also need CYA, use Trichlor/Dich

Just searched around and my initial thoughts are this may not be a bad idea. 5lbs of Dichlor from Amazon is $23 shipped. http://amzn.com/B0015UIOWK
According to pool calculator I need 54oz of this so this 5lbs would fit the bill to get me to shock level as well as bring the CYA to about 55 when all said and done.

Liquid Chlorine say 3-184oz jug case from Costco for 6% chlorine is about $10, then I will have to buy the CYA in a 25lb bucket (like I normally do) which I think is about $60. Id need to add about 2lbs of CYA to get the same 15ppm increase which comes about $5 or so.

So technically costs more to go the Dichlor route. But given the Dichlor will dissolve a lot faster then the CYA granules will, not to mention the Dichlor wont lose its strength like liquid Chlorine will sitting. So I guess its not a bad option for a few bucks more. Still would like to hear from the experts if my thinking is off on this one.

Dixit

It's certainly possible. Have you looked at the effects of adding chemicals on pool calculator? You might want to see what sort of pH change you'll create. And then calculate the costs of raising TA or pH. Hard to say for sure without seeing test results. If pH is also high, then it would be a good idea!

Yea I was just about to add another post here about the PH. Mines pretty spot on right now around 7.5 so adding all that Dichlor is going to drop that significantly by almost 0.87. But if it was high, yea wouldn't be a bad idea. Like add so much every few days (since I have to add MA almost every few days due to the SWCG cell) to raise up CYA slowly and help drop the PH as needed.

Ah oh well, guess we buying a bucket of CYA and Liquid Chlorine (Costco run! coming back with a smoothie too!)

Dixit

The simplicity of raising CYA and chlorine separately is hard to beat. Add the smoothie into the equation and you have a no-brainer. :mrgreen:

Man Cyanuric Acid prices have gone up. I could've sworn I bought my 25lb bucket last year for $55. Cheapest Im seeing shipped is $65 for the same bucket, some are charging even more like $70-100. This what everyone seeing for CYA granules these days?

Dixit

That is about what I've paid for out here in SoCal, $15 for 5lbs. The question I have is, why are you going through so much CYA? You don't backwash your filter, and 25lbs of CYA should be enough to raise your CYA to about 200 ppm for your 15,000 gallon pool. Do you have more than one pool?

I don't backwash since it is cartridge. I normally keep it around 70-80CYA. Over the winter I seem to lose about 40-50ppm. I also share this bucket with my parents house (who happen to live 4 houses away) who also have a pool but theirs is much larger, about 38,000 gals. They experience about the same thing, when we opened it just 2months ago, we noticed it dropped 30ppm in CYA, theirs is also a SWG based pool.

Dixit

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.