Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Make your own sand filter system!

1. Back To Top    #1

Make your own sand filter system! ... ilter.html

Saw this today and thought I would share.

This looks so cool and I really wish I had known this for previous Intex pool! Makes life so much simpler and the cost would have been much less than all those dang filters and time used.
    ProSeries Above Ground 20x4 Sand filter 1 hp

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Make your own sand filter system!

I think you'd be much better served with a real sand filter ... that will likely be difficult to seal (it could be under a lot of pressure) and there is no need to change the sand when you can backwash.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

Given how cheap a real sand filter (under $150 for small - mid size filters) and how often good ones show up on the used market for almost nothing, why take the chance on some home built project like this one.

ps it is even cheaper than mentioned above, there is one ebay seller selling no name 18 inch sand filters for $115 with free shipping
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

It isn't very easy to locate a suitable container that isn't going to fail when placed under pressure. The pressures involved are fairly large and the possibility of explosive failure puts anyone nearby at potential risk.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    North Georgia

This seems like an okay idea for a low pressure pond filter. However sand isn't the best medium for growing bacteria.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

6. Back To Top    #6

Gotcha. Just caught my eye
    ProSeries Above Ground 20x4 Sand filter 1 hp