Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG recommendation

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG recommendation

I'm considering buying a SWG for a 13,500 gallon in-ground plaster pool. I don't have an outlet nearby, so I'll need to hardwire to 220v. Any recommendations?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG recommendation

Look for a cell designed for 1.5-3X the size of your pool. So at least a 20k-40k cell, the larger cell should last longer.

I think all can be wired for either 115V or 230V.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

We have a 14,100 gallon pool and went with Intelichlor IC-40 from Pentair. We have been very happy with it. We run it at 40% and have a very sunny Arizona exposure.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

Anyone have an opinion on the Zodiac Aquapure EI line?

5. Back To Top    #5

Can someone give me a quick overview on the price differences for various SWG systems? Why are the Intex systems so cheap, and what does a system like the Aquarite do that the Intex doesn't? It seems like if I just need a system to turn salt into chlorine, any of them would do the job.

6. Back To Top    #6

You tend to pay more for the amount of chlorine the cell can produce. Some manufactures have more bells and whistles than others and you pay more for those systems. I suggest to look for a cell in the 40,000 gallon range and pick one that you can afford. Compupool seems to have decent reviews and is priced at the lower end, while Autopilot is a very nice high end unit that also gets good reviews.

Search this forum for all the different mfgs and see what you think.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

Probably a bit too late, but we just ordered a solarchlor Max from poolsupplyunlimited.com and it should be here by Monday. I like that it is much bigger than what I need and it does not require an electrical connection.
    24' round AG 15K gals. DIY solar heater. SolarChlor Max producing free chlorine!!. Pool is crystal clear!! Doing my best to use natural products or processes.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by smid87
    Probably a bit too late, but we just ordered a solarchlor Max from poolsupplyunlimited.com and it should be here by Monday. I like that it is much bigger than what I need and it does not require an electrical connection.
    Might want to review this thread:
    solar-chlor-and-chlorease-t23029.html
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Hi. I was just wondering how your SolarChlor Max is holding up? What ppm did you bring your salt up to?! We just installed the same one on our pool about 2 weeks ago on our 30' x 54" round pool. I guess I didn't get an instruction manual with ours (bought it also from poolsupplyunlimited) and can't find a whole lot online about this model and have yet to get a response from the SolarChlor company to ask them for any help. When first taking off my cover, our pool was very green with algae and pretty nasty looking. In the first week we only added 2 lbs. of shock two diff. times and I vacuumed to waste a few times to get the algae completely out of the pool and added the salt needed to get it to 4000 ppm with the SolarChlor Max installed over the pool side and it has surprisingly got the pool clean and has stayed that way for several days now, but when we test the chlorine in the pool, it doesn't show up any. Not sure what the deal is? We are clueless really and new to all of this. After talking to someone that sells this unit on ebay, he said that the manual says that it should be 6000 ppm and the CYA must be adjusted to 70-90 ppm. So, I was just curious how yours has worked for you and what all you may have had to do to get it to work correctly. Or, if anyone else has any experience with the SolarChlor Max unit.