Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need a new filter? Water is nasty in there...

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I need a new filter? Water is nasty in there...

Hey guys, new AGP in March of this year. We had the pump running 24/7 since then. I talked to the pool store (best source of info right...lol) they said on average I'd need a new filter once every three years.

I put in a slime bag cause I had a lot of fine silt in the bottom. Just did that yesterday and the pool is now spotless, yeah slime bag.

I thought it was time to figure out how to take the filter apart today. I shut the pump off and blocked off the skimmer. I didn't realize it would back flow through the return as well so I scrambled to find a plug as water was pouring out of the filter. I obviously had to also remove the slime bag at the same time.

Anyway, this is what I found. I'm assuming all this nasty water is from the slime bag that got poured back in the filter when I took it off?

Does it look like this filter needs to be replaced?

That's 2 months of 24/7 use, so Im thinking a 3 year change was total bs from the pool store?

Thanks!

24' AGP, 54" - 13,300 Gallons at 47".
    AquaRay Cleaner
    Hayward Swimpro Voyager Filter/2 Speed 2 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I need a new filter? Water is nasty in there...

It doesn't look like you have cleaned that filter. But once you do, it will look a lot better and it looks ok to me. Mine are more ragged than that and still filter effectively. In case it helps, this link will lead you to instructions on cleaning your cartridge filter.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...pool%20filters
    Walnut Creek, CA. 18k gallon Pebble Sheen + 1.5k gallon IG spa, 1.5hp whisperflo main pump, Pentair clean and clear 420, Intellichlor IC20, Polaris 360 w/booster,Jandy lite 2 natural gas, plus solar with Heliomatic 5000 controller and 3/4 hp booster

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You will need chlorine in that pool. Can you post test results?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

That's not the pool..,

[attachment=0:mhdp540w]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369248242.253467.jpg[/attachment:mhdp540w]

This is. That other picture is the filter housing.

I think all the nasty water from the slime bag drained back into the filter housing. I sent it to waste. Thank goodness that's not the pool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24' AGP, 54" - 13,300 Gallons at 47".
    AquaRay Cleaner
    Hayward Swimpro Voyager Filter/2 Speed 2 HP Pump