How do I transition from shocking to maintanence?

Nov 5, 2012
Columbia, SC
I was keeping my FC at 12 during shocking. The pool looks great. This morning the FC was at 5. I didn't test last night because I got home late, but yesterday morning was 12. My CYA is at 32. Should I be worried about the drop in FC and bring it back to 12? How do I transition from shocking levels of chlorine back to normal levels?

Assuming you pass the three criteria to stop the shock process....
1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Then simply allow the FC to drift back down to maintenance level and enjoy your pool.

kacreech said:
I was keeping my FC at 12 during shocking. The pool looks great. This morning the FC was at 5. I didn't test last night because I got home late, but yesterday morning was 12. My CYA is at 32. Should I be worried about the drop in FC and bring it back to 12? How do I transition from shocking levels of chlorine back to normal levels?
I'll borrow from Dave and repeat that, assuming you pass the three criteria to stop the shock process....
1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Then simply allow the FC to drift back down to maintenance level and enjoy your pool.

You can swim in FC up to shock level for your CYA without bleaching out everything or srtripping your skin off. Several people in the pool will take care of lowering the FC in no time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.