Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA of 25 after a year of Trichlor tabs?

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA of 25 after a year of Trichlor tabs?

Hi everyone. Well we are in year two of our new pool and loving it. (I will post pics once the new grass grows in )

I am planning on following the BBB this year. I did not purchase a new Nature 2 cartridge or more trichlor tabs, however my garage has 12 bottles of bleach in it.

I opened the pool in the begining of April and didn't really do much to it. Well, with all of the dirt and stone I had been moving (and lack of chlorine) the pool got a little cloudy so I decided to shock it. I did the calc and for 29k gallons I putin 8 gallons of 8.75% bleach. The next day, it looked great.

My calc was based upon having a CYA of 70 (so I thought I remembered). I rechecked the CYA yesterday and today...twice) with my Taylor K2005C that I bought last year. These are my results:

FC = 4
    TC = 4
    PH = 7.1
    CA = 280
    TA = 90
    CYA = approx 25 (The vile was filled about to the top when I couldnt see the dot anymore which was a little about 30)

My question is, after a year of using trichlor tabs, is it possible to have CYA of only 25 after using trichlor tabs all last year? If so, then I am darn happy Just so you know, they started the pool on trichlor and did not add anything else when the start up guy came.
    29k gallon IG guninte lagoon shape.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA of 25 after a year of Trichlor tabs?

It's possible. Here's just one of many threads discussing the phenomenom. Try the search function using disappearing and then fine tune it using winter. CYA is too short a word, and too common anyway, to be any use in the search.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

It might make sense since when closing the pool, we did drain the water down below the skimmers (solid loop lock cover so no snow or rain). Also, I backwash the DE every month + rain + plus splashing kids running back and forth to the diving board.

Gues I should put a couple of pucks in the chlorinator and get to 30-40.
    29k gallon IG guninte lagoon shape.

4. Back To Top    #4

Your pool is about the same size as mine and one 7oz tricolor puck adds 1ppm of CYA to the pool. So you should be good for more than a couple if your current CYA really is 25 or so.
    23x40 freeform w/spa, 28,000 gal. PCC-2000 in-floor cleaning. Pebble Sheen w/flagstone coping. 14' weeping wall, (2) 18" sheer descents. Sta Rite- cart 400 sqft. filter, Intellipro VS pump, 1hp (cleaning)2hp (water feature)Max E Pro's. Easy Touch 8 function w/IPod. Rainbow chlorinator, Paramount Clear O3 (I know, I know), Max-E-Therm 400K heater.