Attempting to clean up water after winter

May 22, 2013
Hello! I have a couple questions about cleaning up my water from winter. I plan on removing all leaves, and debri first, then brushing. Should my next step be shocking the pool, or adding algaecide? The local pool store says add algaecide first then wait 24 hrs to shock. I'm a little hesitant to follow their advice since they told me last year the CYA levels are not important, and do not matter!

Welcome! :wave:

You shouldn't need algaecide. It works better as a preventative than a cure. Bleach is a far more effective killer.

Yes, manually remove as much debris as you can. Have the pump going a while to mix the water good, then take a full water test. Study the results. You need to be sure pH is in range before you start. You might need to adjust TA if it's waaaaay low, or you might need a partial drain if CH or CYA is too high. You can post the results here for advice if you're unsure. And then hit it hard with the bleach. Raise it to shock level. check FC again in an hour and add enough to get it back up to shock level. And again and again every few hours. The more devoted you are to this, the quicker it'll go.

Have you studied Pool School? Do you have your own test kit? Will you fill out your signature?

I do have a test kit. This will be my first attempt at cleaning up the water. We usually drain & refill every year. I've decided to give this a try. Last year my pool was going through excessive chlorine. It is in direct afternoon sunlight. My CYA level was 28, and my local pool store said it didn't matter. I had to drive to another pool store for a hose, and took a water sample with me luckily. They told me there my CYA was too low & that was why I was going through excessive chlorine. After raising the CYA & keeping the Ph balanced it cut back the chlorine use greatly! That store is an hour away though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.