Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I make my pool less deep, meaning less water,?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I make my pool less deep, meaning less water,?

We recently bought a home with a huge pool, 42,000 gallon pool, which we've been remodeling for the past two months, upgrading plumbing, replacing a retainer wall, all new decking, as well as replacing concrete on all backyward areas, and building a BBQ. We've spent a ton, as well as extras that have come up. We're almost done, great contractor, but he's trying to convince us to fill it in a bit to make it less deep. From 9.5 to 6 or 7 ft he says will save us tons in the coming years on heat and maintainence costs with less water. My husband has had enough and doesn't want to spent a penny more as this will cost at least 7K more. Is it a real concern to make it less deep resulting in less water, perhaps 25 or 30,000 gallon which is more manageable to heat and maintain? I have all new top systems installed, new skimmer, new return lines etc. But I just am not sure about this one issue. My kids ages 4, 9, and 11 love to jump off the deep end, and dive (no diving board). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I make my pool less deep, meaning less water,?

Your kids love to jump n dive. Do you really want to take that from them? I know I wouldn't if they enjoyed it so much.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

No expert here (trust me on that) but extra depth to a pool should not create nearly the heating load that extra surface area would. A majority of cooling takes place because of evaporation which will be no different in either scenario. Certainly a bigger pool does come with a larger chemical bill. The main issues for me would be 1) usage (kids will probably prefer the deeper pool given that they like jump/dive now and that kids get bigger and become teenagers - that I can be sure of) and 2) a huge extra bill now versus more reasonable outlays year by year.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

+1 keep it as is!
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

5. Back To Top    #5

keep it deep!
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree keep it deep if the kids like to dive in, also I suspect any savings on operating cost would take many years to pay back.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you so much for your replies! We are leaning towards keeping it deep, but I'm just worried about the higher costs of maintaining or ever heating (which I'm told I'll NEVER do due to the cost) a 42,000 gallon pool!

8. Back To Top    #8

Sounds like the contractor is just trying to make more money. Would take a long time to offset the $7,000 to modify the pool now as opposed to the cost of chemicals and heating associated with the existing pool.
    18x33 AGP, 17,300 gal, Hayward Sand Filter, 1.5 HP 2 Speed Hayward Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

I agree with Yukon Jack. If you never plan to heat it then you will only have extra chemical expenses and electric expense in order to achieve water turnover. I spend around $340 on chlorine/year and I would guess another $150 on acid and CYA. This totals $490/year for a 35,000 gallon pool. This comes to $14/1000 gallons. So a 30,000 gallon pools chemical cost would be approximately $420 and a 42,000 gallon pools chemical cost would be approximately $588. This is a difference of $168/year. I spend around $600/year on electricity for my pool so I can not imagine that your pool would use more than $800/year. So between chemicals and electricity your cost could be $368/year more than now. The old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it" applies here in my opinion. By the way I heated my pool and wish I had not.

Keep in mind that my chemical numbers and electricity numbers are based on using liquid chlorine and keeping my pool open year round.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

10. Back To Top    #10

Being the finance guy I am....based on the above you WILL NEVER recoup your savings on the $7,000 investment. Keep it deep!
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover