cloudy water I'm at my wits end

Mar 18, 2012
started w/green, killed algae. filter returned green to pool. bought new cartridges-still returned green. washed filter, pool store said bad move just keep circulating brushing etc wait for pressure build. pool turned cloudy white/gray. brushed, vacuumed no better. taylor fas-dpd kit results: fc 0.6, cc 0.8, ph 7.5, ta 80-90, ch 140, cy 48-52, old eyes not sure. superchlor w/liq chlor 3 gals. got to 11 ppm fc. let it dilute and retested. fc 0.8 cc 0.6 ph 7.6, ta 80, ch 140, cy 32 wife eyes, i still saw black dot. superchlor again w/6 gals got fc as high as 27 ppm. still had 1.0 cc. as fc dropped cc went to less than .5ppm, then to 0. fc at 20 ppm, cc at 0.clarity seemed a little better and slight increase in filter pressure. 3hrs. later fc at 13.5 ppm cc at 0. clarity slightly worse. i'm looking for a high bridge to jump off, been at this for a month--any ideas. p.s. 10 yr old pool under my care only, never had this happen before.

Its a cartridge filter...
You don't really see a pressure build on some cartridge filters. You can tell its dirty when there is a reduction in flow from the return.

When you say "let it dilute and retested" are you letting the FC drop back down? The key to proper shocking is holding the FC at shock level (see the CYA chart) until the FC holds overnight. If the water is still cloudy AFTER you have met the criteria to know you are done with the shock PROCESS (not a one time application) you could try a clarifier.

cloudy water wits end part 2

Merged by Moderator. Please keep related questions together. Thanks, jblizzle

cloudy water still at wits end--i've been superchlor with liquid chlorine for 3 days now. FC holding at or near 20ppm. CC started at 1 ppm dropped to .5 and then to 0 for last 36 hours. have seen very little or no clearing of water. how long should i keep at it before trying something else. please see my prior post (may 21st/wits end) for full test results.

I am 5 days in ~ little slight improvement leading up to this morning when I peeked and thought I am sure today I see a difference.
Hoping to have a second visual confirmation when I get home this afternoon. It's likely to be storming so bad that I won't ~ we have boomers incoming.
I have my cya in & keep it at shock level & trust that BBB will work. Even when we really weren't sure we saw improvement we kept it at shock level.
You have to "burn" that stuff up & filter the water. This time next week, if I am still at shock level I will keep trusting that BBB works. If it has worked for as many people as it has on this board from all over the place ~ it has to work for us we just have to be diligent about following the procedures to get us there.

I really don't think you will need to try something else if you follow this through as instructed.

Good Luck.

please I really need help!! tried clarifier several times over 3 days--water still very cloudy. brushed, vacuumed several times, can now barely see bottom of shallow end (3 ft) latest test results from this a.m. f.c. 4.0, cc 0.4, ph 7.4, ta 80, ch 120, cya 40. beginning to think i need to buy a new filter--major $ for me. any ideas would be appreciated

I apologize if I come across as harsh, but you are not shocking. The shock process requires raising FC and HOLDING it at that level for a prolonged period of time. Based on your CYA level of 40, your FC shock level is 15. You nees to raise your FC to 15, wait an hour, and test again. Then dose approproately to bring it back up to 15. Everytime you let your FC get below 15, you are letting the algae regain a foothold and you are moving backwards. The reason the pool isn't clearing is because new algae are reproducing, and your next dose just kills the new stuff...hence, no progress.

Bring your FC up to 15; if you want you can target 16 or 17. After an hour or two, test and redose. Do this as many times per day as you can, and don't let the FC fall below 15.

you're not harsh and i appreciate response. i tried shocking for 3 full days. held fc at 15 an cc dropped to zero. didn't seem to help much. i'll try again, do you think it will take many days?? Very frustrating to try and get no positive results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, many days.

Reread the article in pool school on how to shock your pool. You need to hold FC at shock level until you pass all three criteria. This process could take several days to several weeks. Anywhere on that spectrum is normal. Take a look at some of the defeating algae threads as well. It will give you an idea of how long the process can take - again, totally normal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.