Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shell floating or deck sinking

1. Back To Top    #1

Shell floating or deck sinking

So I bought my house in 2009, 5 years after my IG pool was installed by the previous owner. When I took ownership of the home, I found the pool's coping on the one side of the deep end was not flush with the pool deck -- it's raised, about 1.5" max in the worst sections. This extends down a good portion of one side of the pool; the other side is just about flush with the pool deck. The raised elements of the pool have pretty much stayed consistent over the past 4 years, though I do think there has been some slight progression in certain sections.

Lately, I've been wondering if this is due to the shell being pushed on by water or expansive soil or if the deck is settling in the sections that are displaying the problem. Is there any way to tell the difference? I want to get a good hold on the cause of the issue, because I was thinking of re-plastering next year. If its a soil or water issue and is destined to get worse, eventually killing the pool, I definitely want to hold off on any major work.

Thoughts?
    20,000 Gallon Gunite IG Pool w/ AG attached Spa -- Built 2004
    Sta-rite S8D110 DE 106 GPM Filter
    Sta-rite Max-E Pro 3 HP Pump
    Hayward H300 Electric Pool Heater
    Polaris 380 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shell floating or deck sinking

Most likely the decking. Is the water line level around the pool? Movement of the pool would shift where the water hit.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

That's kind of what I was thinking... We do have a high water table in the backyard though. So I am cautious to say the least...

The level of the water does appear to be the same around the pool -- I'm measuring it by seeing where it comes up to on the mosaic tile that is just beneath the coping.

I'd think that if the pool had raised 1.5" in a sizable section of the pool the water level would be lower in the raised section -- is that a fair assumption?

How would I fix this? Get the pool deck re-poured the sections it's settling?
    Polaris 380 Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

pic attached
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Polaris 380 Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Almost positive it is a settling deck. Got any pics from further away so we can see the extent? Got any sizable cracks in the deck?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Basically the deck starts to become unlevel on the left side on the picture and runs all the way down to the skimmer on the top right section of the picture just before the spa starts. The largest gap is what you see on left. The closer you get to the skimmer, the smaller the gap becomes...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Polaris 380 Cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Yeah, your pool body looks level so the decki has settled....surprisingly quite even....we often see them buckled and cracked up.

Only repair I know of is to break up and remove the existing concrete in the affected areas. The rub is that the new concrete WILL NOT match the old
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Yea, I thought so...

I've been reading a lot about mudjacking/slabjacking... anyone have any thoughts?
    Polaris 380 Cleaner