Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quick question on Chlorine levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick question on Chlorine levels

Hello.

Just had a quick question regarding chlorine levels. I used a test kit to see my CYA is around 40-50, which gives me a minimum chlorine level of 4 ppm with a target of 6 ppm.

I could swear that I've read somewhere (might've been on the leslie's test kit) that you shouldn't enter the pool if chlorine is above 5. I am fully aware that pool stores sell more BS than quality products but am just wondering how CYA affects how chlorine is good/bad for a human body. Is there any truth to Chlorine levels above 5 being bad and does CYA actual change that?

Thanks in advance.
    -AG round Vinyl, roughly 27'x4.5' = 18,000 gallons
    -Hayward S180T Sand Filter
    -1.5 HP pump
    -1 skimmer and 1 drain in bottom center feeding pump/filter to one return

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quick question on Chlorine levels

You can safely swim up to shock level value for your CYA level.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

That would only be true with 0 CYA ... which is all the pool stores seems to assume everyone has.

You are perfectly safe to swim in a pool with CYA in all the way up to shock level ... as the active chlorine is still less than you would find in a public pool that has 0 CYA and 2ppm of FC.

See this:
    http://richardfalk.home.comcast.net/~ri ... l/HOCl.htm
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Suarez7:

You are fine to enter your pool at an FC of 5. A certain amount of chlorine is bound to CYA. Basically, this means that an FC of 5 @ a CYA of 40 is equivalent to an FC of 9 @ a CYA of 80 (see Chlorine/CYA Chart link in my sig). So, it is safe to swim at an FC level that is below shock level for your CYA.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you all so very much. That erases my fears completely and I'm excited to enter the BBB method in full!
    -AG round Vinyl, roughly 27'x4.5' = 18,000 gallons
    -Hayward S180T Sand Filter
    -1.5 HP pump
    -1 skimmer and 1 drain in bottom center feeding pump/filter to one return

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, yes! Thank you for that clear and clean explanation. It will help a lot of us in our maintenance.
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!