Hello!!from NC with a green Pool

kplaster

Bronze Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Randleman,NC
Well, got a late start on opening..What a green monster mess..Well,got cover off&top'd her of&she is of running..Haven't check'd water.I just dump'd 6 gal's of bleach&off killing everything.lol..This will be the first time of going green to sparkling..Any suggestion's ????..I will check water tomorrow morning.Hope everyone has a troublefree 2013 Season.Any suggestion's will be helpful on the green monster journey...I've alway's had a clear pool..But,I alway's open in April.Got a little behind.Had just look'd at water 2 week's ago& was clear..Wow!!how 2 week's have gone the other way

Check your cya and ph.
Make sure you have plenty of reagent on hand.
I don't like to blindly toss stuff in & I have been having to ration testing so I have had to pour not having total accuracy, makes me nervous!

I had a wee disaster as well so I am currently in shock mode, but I did check my cya & ph before I began & ordered reagent after I spilled mine :shock:

If you are using Clorox for me personally mine went from 6% to 8.25% so it's more bang for the bottle (got a hint on the Austin's 12% though ~ it's at a nice price if you have it in your area, would mean less jugs for the landfills). 6 bottles of bleach would have been danger zone for my liner I think, especially at the higher % ~ I figured I better put that out there for you just in case you are working with a more potent bottle than what you are accustomed to.

Good Luck Fighting the Green :)

My liner is already gone...I pick'd up the value size great value that I alway's use..Noticed these bottle's were 8.25% >they were 121oz bottles..figure I would not ***** foot around.Algi has took it by storm.When I pull'd cover Sunday.I could see a little of the bottom.Just the 2day's with temp's in the 80's&humid it has turn'd to the monster..Have alway's had good luck.I just wait'd to long this year.Well,we will see how it goes.I've alway's just drain'd water&start'd over.But,we going to see how long it will take.Wiping the dust off the T-100..Going to check water in morning..

Any suggestion's on how to get my water to clear up.number's are in range.Water just cloudy.I changed out sand Sunday.Haven't seen much change.Just white&can't see bottom.Running fc around 12/.5 cc/Alk 80/PH 7.2/CYA 30.Hate running pump all the time.I've been running it about 7 hour's at night.Have solar cover over pool.Never had this problem last this long.

kplaster said:
Any suggestion's on how to get my water to clear up.number's are in range.Water just cloudy.I changed out sand Sunday.Haven't seen much change.Just white&can't see bottom.Running fc around 12/.5 cc/Alk 80/PH 7.2/CYA 30.Hate running pump all the time.I've been running it about 7 hour's at night.Have solar cover over pool.Never had this problem last this long.
Sand filters take a while to clear a murky pool. pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter

[center:2pqg1ygb]
file.php
[/center:2pqg1ygb]

Richard320 said:
kplaster said:
Sand filters take a while to clear a murky pool. pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter
Richard,do you think I should take vacuum&hook up&leave in bottom of pool.Would that help?I have done this before.Just don't like leaving the house with it that way
[center:4qva4pip]
file.php
[/center:4qva4pip]

DE helps- I'm almost done clearing my re-bloom. It had all settled, I stirred it up some today while vacuuming. The sand alone seemed to be taking forever. Add some DE as per the instructions linked above, and leave the filter run 24/7 until it clears. Mine ran for 2 weeks between the shock process & getting rid of the cloudiness. Keep an eye on the pressure & backwash as needed. There will be a visible difference in the backwash water.

Add'd DE this evening.How often should you add powder to filter to help keep water clearer?Wow!!sure is a big box for the 4 cup's I got out of it.I closed box up&put it under the house off the ground.Is that a good place to keep?It's dry&cool.

kplaster said:
Add'd DE this evening.How often should you add powder to filter to help keep water clearer?Wow!!sure is a big box for the 4 cup's I got out of it.I closed box up&put it under the house off the ground.Is that a good place to keep?It's dry&cool.
Just went out to check.Pressure jump'd to 19 was at 11 when I start'd.pressure went up about 1.5 after adding a total of 4 cup's.I just went ahead & bachwash'd.We are back down to 11 now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
kplaster said:
kplaster said:
Just went out to check.Pressure jump'd to 19 was at 11 when I start'd.pressure went up about 1.5 after adding a total of 4 cup's.I just went ahead & bachwash'd.We are back down to 11 now.
Then it's working!!! :party:

Add some more, since you just backwashed it away.

The stuff is essentially petrified plankton, it's millions of years old. Cool and dry is more imprtant to the bag than the contents. :lol:

Richard320 said:
kplaster said:
kplaster said:
Then it's working!!! :party:

Add some more, since you just backwashed it away.

The stuff is essentially petrified plankton, it's millions of years old. Cool and dry is more imprtant to the bag than the contents. :lol:
So you are saying that every time I backwash I should add about 3 cup's back ..I think I maybe could have got by with 3 cup's.

Best to leave your pool uncovered during this process. The sun provides UV rays which helps break down byproducts of shocking the pool.

Well,water is clearing.Just slow process.I've had to backwash 4 time's since last night.It doesn't take long before pressure rise's to 20...I need to adjust my CYA.But,I don't want to add none because of backwashing so much.

kplaster said:
Well,water is clearing.Just slow process.I've had to backwash 4 time's since last night.It doesn't take long before pressure rise's to 20...I need to adjust my CYA.But,I don't want to add none because of backwashing so much.
But if CYA is really low, the sun gets to the chlorine before the chlorine can get to the algae. Test results, please? :testresults:

This is one of the reasons why we promote putting the CYA in a sock and suspending it in the pool to dissolve. It's not stuck in the filter. If you do need to backwash, you'll only lose a small percentage of a few parts per million, probably not enough to notice on the tester.

CYA is 20 this morning when I check'd.I overflow'd pool last week...Test result's from morning are FC=10,CC=0,ALK=80,PH=7.2,CYA=20..Thank's Richard I was going to put sock over today.But,was afraid of having to backwash so much.Plus,kid's in pool.Something else they can play with"a Sock"lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.