Why isn't my pH coming down?

Jun 20, 2012
I've been trying to get my pH down from 7.7 to 7.5. The calculator says for a 15K pool 10 oz of 31.45 percent Muriatic Acid should accomplish that. Over the last 5 days I've added 35 oz but it's only down to 7.6. Any ideas on what is happening?

My TA is 90 (as of last weekend) and I did enter that into the calculator. One thing that has changed is that my CH was 180 for quite a while. After I realized it I have it now bumped up to 250. Could being at 250 now allow my new plaster to cause the pH to rise? Also, as an experiment to see how long pucks last (after stopping their use about a month ago when my CYA got to 50) I added 3 pucks. That experiment ended after 9 days (a week ago) and I am back to using bleach again. Other than the 9 days on pucks, over the last two months I have been using bleach.

Have you been adding any water? If your water is like mine, it's about 220TA out of the faucet, which has a small effect on increasing TA, which tends to drive pH back up. That's my guess. I've learned by experimentation and observation that every inch of water I add requires an extra cup of acid. Your pool will be different.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.