Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why isn't my pH coming down?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why isn't my pH coming down?

I've been trying to get my pH down from 7.7 to 7.5. The calculator says for a 15K pool 10 oz of 31.45 percent Muriatic Acid should accomplish that. Over the last 5 days I've added 35 oz but it's only down to 7.6. Any ideas on what is happening?
    Pete
    15,000 gallons IG pebble, Sundek plus Luederstone, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter with SM-20-2 valve, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump, Pentair EasyTouch 4 panel, Pentair KreepyKrauly Platinum cleaner, Stenner 45M fixed 10 GPD pump with 15 gallon tank, new pool startup 10/2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why isn't my pH coming down?

How soon after adding are you testing your ph? You should be able to test within an hour (with pump running) of adding .
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I check about 24 hours later.
    Pete
    15,000 gallons IG pebble, Sundek plus Luederstone, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter with SM-20-2 valve, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump, Pentair EasyTouch 4 panel, Pentair KreepyKrauly Platinum cleaner, Stenner 45M fixed 10 GPD pump with 15 gallon tank, new pool startup 10/2012

4. Back To Top    #4

Then it may have gone back up in the meantime. What is your TA level?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

I just noticed you have new plaster. My understanding is the first year of new plaster the ph will go up continuously and need to be adjusted often.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    I just noticed you have new plaster. My understanding is the first year of new plaster the ph will go up continuously and need to be adjusted often.
    Good catch, linen.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

As linen asked, did you put your current TA into the calculator as that will affect how much MA is required to achieve a pH change.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

My TA is 90 (as of last weekend) and I did enter that into the calculator. One thing that has changed is that my CH was 180 for quite a while. After I realized it I have it now bumped up to 250. Could being at 250 now allow my new plaster to cause the pH to rise? Also, as an experiment to see how long pucks last (after stopping their use about a month ago when my CYA got to 50) I added 3 pucks. That experiment ended after 9 days (a week ago) and I am back to using bleach again. Other than the 9 days on pucks, over the last two months I have been using bleach.
    Pete

9. Back To Top    #9

Have you been adding any water? If your water is like mine, it's about 220TA out of the faucet, which has a small effect on increasing TA, which tends to drive pH back up. That's my guess. I've learned by experimentation and observation that every inch of water I add requires an extra cup of acid. Your pool will be different.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

I haven't added any water but we did get a little rain recently.
    Pete