Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Video Surveilence on Property

1. Back To Top    #1

Video Surveilence on Property

I am throwing around the idea of having video surveilence hooked up, to both front and back corners of my garage, above my pool mainly because I can't see it from the house and I want to be able to moniter it at any time. The pool will be located on the other side of my garage making it impossible to view from the house. It is the only place I can put the pool.

I don't want to spend $1,000 or more on such a unit. I am looking more in the ball park of $350 or less for a whole unit. Anyone have any info on video surveilence on personal property? I'd appreciate any links and or feed back on the matter. Thanks!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Video Surveilence on Property

Search google. I found this in five seconds.
    http://www.amazon.com/Zmodo-PKD-DK4216- ... 009&sr=1-1
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

3. Back To Top    #3

You can also buy Foscam style IP cameras for around $75 each... which you can setup to view from anywhere, including your Iphone...
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

If you want to see any detail you need cameras with at least 500 TV lines resolution, more is better.
    If you want to maintain the recording for any length of time you'll need about 1 TB of hard drive space especially if you're installing more than 4 cameras.

Depending on the lighting at your location you may want a lot of night vision distance or, if your area is well lit at night, it may not be much of a concern.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm looking for 2 cameras, 1 on each corner of the garage looking down on the pool. I do have a telephone pole with an exterior light on it below the pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

Here is a link to the one we got at Walmart.com

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Swann-8-Chann ... g/17188985

We have not hooked it up yet but, it is supposed to record from all cameras at once. The one we purchased and returned in order to get this one only recorded on one camera at a time and I had to set it up to record on the computer. The 8 camera one has its own DVR.. It also works with a smartphone.

Walmart has other brands also. And different configurations. Good luck with your search.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

7. Back To Top    #7

Casey, my husband and I own a security company and install CCTV equipment almost daily. I wouldn't recommend placing an IR camera on a pole with a bright outdoor light. The IR may not ever activate because the light will make the camera think it's still daylight. If it does activate, it may produce a poor quality video that looks white or fuzzy. If you must do it that way, place some sort of shield or "visor" between the light and the camera. If the light is bright enough you may not need IR to get a decent picture.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

8. Back To Top    #8

Menards has a whole system with DVR that you connect to your TV or computer, direct wire not wifi or wireless. Has 7 or 9 cameras(color and night vision) for around $400.00 I missed the sale they had on them last week for $250.00 with 4 cameras.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha_in_AL
    Casey, my husband and I own a security company and install CCTV equipment almost daily. I wouldn't recommend placing an IR camera on a pole with a bright outdoor light. The IR may not ever activate because the light will make the camera think it's still daylight. If it does activate, it may produce a poor quality video that looks white or fuzzy. If you must do it that way, place some sort of shield or "visor" between the light and the camera. If the light is bright enough you may not need IR to get a decent picture.
    I wasn't attaching anything to the light pole. I was just stating that we have a light pole so if at night someone would try to go for a late night swim, they would be seen due to the light pole doing it's job of lighting the area. (wouldn't be the first time someone bombed my pool at night at the other house! The Rottweiler was unfortunately off duty at the time lounging in the kitchen) The cameras would be attached to the garage.