How to lower CH

msipos

Apr 12, 2013
I have a SWG and my reading upon opening this year for CH is 600....how do I lower it? I would hate to drain half my pool.....30k pool. I had scale last year and used Jack's magic to get it out upon closing and perhaps the calcium is now in suspension? My phosphates are high and I read where phosphates can react with calcium allowing the filter to take it out....true? All other readings ok FAC 2 TAC 2 Salt 3100 CYA 90 TA 100 PH 7.5

Option 1: drain and replace with lower CH water
Option 2: (VERY limited locations) Reverse Osmosis treatment

That is it.

You can manage the high CH ... Richard is a Pro ... by maintaining lower pH.

Drain and refill and wait for rain.

Also consider what the fill water is. If your tap water is 200 CH, and your pool is 600, draining half won't bring it to 300.

Plug your numbers into the pool calculator and see what the CSI is and what happens if you drop pH a little and reduce TA. Keep CSI O +/- .3 and you won;t have problems, even when CH climbs.

I reduce mine during the season by using pool water on the lawn and then refilling. Same amount of water gets used, but the Calcium gets out of my pool.

msipos said:
My phosphates are high and I read where phosphates can react with calcium allowing the filter to take it out....true?
According the chem geek in this post: http://www.troublefreepool.com/phosphates-and-cloudy-water-t20428.html#p168602, some potential "calcium reducers" are based on this phenomenon. However, again according to chem geek, the phosphate levels required are much higher than typical. Also, we have not heard of much (any?) success of these "calcium reducers".

Thanks guys I do have a water softener for the house as we do have hard water here in Ambler PA so guess I should leave the softener on? that is not bypass it as I was told to do when refilling my pool? unfortunately the lawns here in PA are green....I dump it out in the woods as concerned about the salt water hurting the lawn?

Your house softener is not capable of removing that much calcium that fast. You will overload your back and your pocketbook hauling salt. You CAN use it as refill water as the load will not be so much by doing just a little at a time.

Keep your pH from 7.2 - 7.4 and you should see no calcium scale and your CH will eventually drop if you refill with softened water.

If you decide to drain, the pool water is harmless to your yard.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.