Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA question (another one)

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA question (another one)

this forum is great
    second season using BBB method, don't use the frog system anymore, best water yet.
    my season is 5/15 thru 9/15 - when i closed CYA = 48
    now the CYA is below 30 - (using Taylor kit the black dot is visible but a little murky even when completely filled so it could be at 20?)

question
    should I just use pucks and powder to bring up the CYA over the next 3 or 4 weeks (not real hot in eastern PA yet), or add some CYA to get up to 35 or so?

thx
    24K gal, plaster, concrete decking, cantelivered coping, 20 years old, raised attached stone spa - 1 1/2 HP purex triton pump, 3 yr old 48 sq ft Pentair DE filter with multiport, Polaris 380 w/pump, 2 yr old Pentair mastertemp 400k heater - live in southeastern PA outside phila.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA question (another one)

Quote Originally Posted by jp4120
    this forum is great
    second season using BBB method, don't use the frog system anymore, best water yet.
    my season is 5/15 thru 9/15 - when i closed CYA = 48
    now the CYA is below 30 - (using Taylor kit the black dot is visible but a little murky even when completely filled so it could be at 20?)

question
    should I just use pucks and powder to bring up the CYA over the next 3 or 4 weeks (not real hot in eastern PA yet), or add some CYA to get up to 35 or so?

thx
    It sounds like you understand our ways... so either works. Dichlor powder (I hesitate to use the term they give it) will boost CYA and FC. Just don't buy more than you need to raise CYA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

You could go either way. The key is to think about how valuable or annoying the other effects of using tablets are and also what you have sitting around that you need to use up and compare that to the alternative. Trichlor tablets lower PH, so you are probably going to need to raise the PH frequently as long as you are using them.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

good points, I do still have a bunch of pucks (can't resist buying them on sale at costco at least 1x per year)

I may do a bit of both.....thx
    24K gal, plaster, concrete decking, cantelivered coping, 20 years old, raised attached stone spa - 1 1/2 HP purex triton pump, 3 yr old 48 sq ft Pentair DE filter with multiport, Polaris 380 w/pump, 2 yr old Pentair mastertemp 400k heater - live in southeastern PA outside phila.