Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Refilling DE after a filter clean

1. Back To Top    #1

Refilling DE after a filter clean

I've got really high phosphates (1000+), so I taught myself to open up my Heyward filter, clean it out, and am now trying to treat with PhosFree.

I cleaned it out, closed it up, turned it on, added the recommended amount of DE (7 lbs), added the PhosFree (and the instructions say to use 1L then wait a week before repeating the process). Only then did I realize I didn't reassemble the filter correctly and I had some small leaks. So I ended up having to drain half the filter again, open it up, reseal it, and close it up.

Now my question is: how much DE do I re-add? The full 7 lbs? Half? (It sure looked like a lot of DE ran out the bottom after the second opening.) Is too much DE harmful? Should I err on the side of too much or too little?

Also, secondary question, I assume most of my PhosFree probably ran out too...so I need to re-apply that from scratch, huh?
    Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley)
    15k gallon in-ground (IG) pool (I believe it's plaster)
    DE filter (Heyward), using cellulose instead of DE
    Jandy APURE1400 3-port salt cell

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Refilling DE after a filter clean

I don't have a DE filter so cannot help on that.

I will say that if you search "phosphates" on this site you will find you are wasting your money and valuable time. This site encourages people to do their own testing accurately and learn what the testing means instead of relying on the Pool Store to "fix" things for us.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by ddas
    I've got really high phosphates (1000+), so I taught myself to open up my Heyward filter, clean it out, and am now trying to treat with PhosFree.

I cleaned it out, closed it up, turned it on, added the recommended amount of DE (7 lbs), added the PhosFree (and the instructions say to use 1L then wait a week before repeating the process). Only then did I realize I didn't reassemble the filter correctly and I had some small leaks. So I ended up having to drain half the filter again, open it up, reseal it, and close it up.

Now my question is: how much DE do I re-add? The full 7 lbs? Half? (It sure looked like a lot of DE ran out the bottom after the second opening.) Is too much DE harmful? Should I err on the side of too much or too little?

Also, secondary question, I assume most of my PhosFree probably ran out too...so I need to re-apply that from scratch, huh?
    Since you really have no way of knowing how much ran out, you're sort of stuck doing another backwash and recoat.

Who cares about the phos-free? I've never even had my phosphates tested!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I would recommend a backwash, and then recoat with 80% of the DE your filter requires as a backwash doesn't remove 100% of the dirty DE.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

5. Back To Top    #5

Interesting. (Obviously this was my first post ever to this forum, and I'm a newbie to taking care of my own pool.) I had no idea you guys were so anti-phosphate-control. Thanks for the input.

I really appreciate all the wisdom here. I'm sure I'll have more questions, but I'm going to immerse myself in Pool School for now and get the basics done.

Side note: it has been frustrating learning to take care of my own pool. Googling for pool information -- a lot like googling for medical or health information -- often returns contradictory advice, and how am I supposed to know which to follow?
    Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley)
    15k gallon in-ground (IG) pool (I believe it's plaster)
    DE filter (Heyward), using cellulose instead of DE
    Jandy APURE1400 3-port salt cell