Shock or adjust PH first

Spent day draining. Drained down to 18 inches in the shallow end. Just started the refill. I'll get everything running in morning and then retest for ammonia. It was a reading of 3 for ammonia before the drain so hope its half that (I'm going to put in extra water). After that I assume I start the shocking again in an attempt to get a FC reading?

Bobswe said:
Spent day draining. Drained down to 18 inches in the shallow end. Just started the refill. I'll get everything running in morning and then retest for ammonia. It was a reading of 3 for ammonia before the drain so hope its half that (I'm going to put in extra water). After that I assume I start the shocking again in an attempt to get a FC reading?
It's going to take a bunch of chlorine just to eliminate the ammonia. But yeah, keep pouring until you can get a reading.

I started the shock process at 700 AM EST. how long does it take to get a FC reading after dumping in liquid shock? I'm aiming to maintain 10 ppm but checking every 10 minutes still shows 0. Pool calculator shows to put in 209 oz and I even doubled it to try and get a reading. Any ideas?

Maybe it's just me but that was pretty confusing. Putting the bleach into a 5 gallon bucket filled with the pool water tells you to repeat test 2-6 if its under 10ppm after an hour? It's the same pool water if you repeat? I've started to get readings of over 10ppm when I add 2 gallons of 12.5 liquid chlorine since my last post. Should I test and repeat every hour until it holds? My ammonia test showed only .2 this morning rather than 3. That's a huge difference than yesterday. I have plenty of liquid chlorine and am anxious to be able to keep a FC reading.

Should I test and repeat every hour until it holds? My ammonia test showed only .2 this morning rather than 3. That's a huge difference than yesterday. I have plenty of liquid chlorine and am anxious to be able to keep a FC reading.

Yes, test and repeat every hour or so until it holds.

It's going to take a bunch of chlorine just to eliminate the ammonia. But yeah, keep pouring until you can get a reading.

As of this morning my tests show
FC 3
CC 0
PH 6.4 (added 2 boxes of Borax at 6:00Am EST)
CYA 20
I'm
I did drop 5 ppm in the FC overnight so am hitting it with a good dose of shock before I leave for work. I'll continue to raise PH and re test for ammonia tonight. Am I on the right track?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. Took me about the same but I also drained about 1/3 of the water. I'm holding a FC reading again with no CC reading. I guess I should've closed this blog being as my problem is over. Thanks to everyone that read and contributed to helping me solve this problem. I love this website!!!

Bobswe said:
Thanks. Took me about the same but I also drained about 1/3 of the water. I'm holding a FC reading again with no CC reading. I guess I should've closed this blog being as my problem is over. Thanks to everyone that read and contributed to helping me solve this problem. I love this website!!!
Congratulations! :goodjob: Can we see a pic :-D

:lovetfp:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.