Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recreational Water Illness and Injury (RWII) Prevention Week

1. Back To Top    #1

Herndon, VA

Recreational Water Illness and Injury (RWII) Prevention Week

How much misinformation is in here? ... index.html
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Recreational Water Illness and Injury (RWII) Prevention

See my post in BBB pools and sanitary conditions - CDC comment for more specific info about one CDC study that is causing a bit of a controversy and is a bit misleading.

As for the link you gave, I didn't see anything particularly wrong except that it doesn't state on that page that chlorine kills most pathogens quickly. They have other pages linked from that one that get you to their Chlorine Disinfection Timetable that shows how some pathogens are slower to kill. A more complete table from the CDC is this one. However, the times for Hepatitis A are inconsistent between the two tables. From a search of literature, it looks like the 16 minutes is closer to reality.

Was there something in particular that concerned you?
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"