how much CYA for pool with pool cover

Hi Cloudbusting! How long have you been maintain your pool? You don't have a SWG do you. Have you been having issues with getting chlorine levels to fall?

I second the recommendation to keep CYA low with your cover. I had mine at the recommended 70 all last year, and it was a real bear to get chlorine levels to drop when they creeped up during my dialing in the SWG phase. I'm leaving mine at 50 this year to see if it is more manageable, but it is proving to be just as difficult.

I'm actually entertaining the idea of having some Chlorine reducer on hand which is Sodium Thiosulfate .

Cloudbusting said:
Why 70ppm with swg+covered vs. 30ppm for covered pool and conventional chlorine?

I thought cya protects clorine from sunlight or does it help the swg also?
I don't know the answer, but suspect the answer is not clear because having and using an opaque cover is not what the majority are doing. Therfore there is not a lot of data on exactly how high it needs to be.... It's much easier to raise CYA if you have problems keeping chlorine in your pool. If I were you I'd start at 30 ppm and see how it goes.

You can try the CYA at 30ppm. SWG are slow to add FC, thus the need for added protection from the sun. See what the required setting on the SWG to maintain your FC, if the setting is high, you may find that increasing the CYA will actually lower how hard the SWG has to work ... theoretically this should actually make the SWG cell last longer as well.

If the pool is mostly shaded when opened, but also closed the majority of the time, how many hours of sunlight per week are we talking about? 4? 8? Seems like your really talking about inside pool conditions. I get full sun on my open pool about 13-15 hours per week, and at 50 ppm CYA if I overshoot FC with my SWG it can take weeks to come down. Just sayin'.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.