1. Back To Top    #1

Opening Levels

FC 1.5
    CC .5
    TA 90
    CH 230
    CYA 60
    PH 8.2

I am starting the shock process. My question is, should I lower the PH first??

thanks!!
    34K gallon, Hayward S240 sand filter, in ground, gunite... not sure of pump size and flow rate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening Levels

Definitely. 8.2 is the top of the scale, so who knows how high it actually is. Target 7.2, but you may want to do it in a couple of doses so you don't overshoot.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Absolutely. And once it's good, don't bother testing pH again until the shock process is complete and FC has dropped below 10. High chlorine reacts with the reagent and shifts the color, so it won't be accurate.

How does the water look right now? You know we like pictures....
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok. What if i already started shocking because i got anxious and went ahead and shocked??? Because thats what I did. bad???
    34K gallon, Hayward S240 sand filter, in ground, gunite... not sure of pump size and flow rate

5. Back To Top    #5

By the way the water looks slightly cloudy but overall pretty good!! I hope i didnt screw up too bad

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Martha_D
    By the way the water looks slightly cloudy but overall pretty good!! I hope i didnt screw up too bad
    Well, chlorine works better at lower pH, so if it was me, I'd try to fix it.

If that reading was taken before you added all that chlorine, then wait at least an hour after adding bleach, and add enough acid to get you down to maybe 7.6. Give that a while to mix, then resume. You can fine tune later. If that reading is after dumping the bleach. you'll just have to fix it after.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

No it was before adding bleach. Ok i will try to adjust. Thanks!