May 6, 2013
Tested today:

FC 3.2
Cc 0
Ph 7.4
Ta 120-125
Cya ??
Ch 400

I should have cya at 50. I had zero going into the season and added solid to get me up to 50. I added last Sunday so ill check again this weekend.

At this point am i good to go with borates, or is TA a concern?

Mmmm, I hope this is not a hijack to his thread, but I have been reading Pool School a bunch and I came away with these reasons why I want to add borates, once I am up and balanced, etc.

1) more stable pH
2) Algaestatic properties
3) reduced chlorine usage
4) silkier feeling water--less skin and eye irritation
5) clearer, 'sparkling' water

And no dogs, etc.

So are there others reasons not to do, seems like a no brainer.

1. Only really matters if you have SWG or lots of aeration
2. Doesn't matter if you maintain adequate FC
3. Recommended levels are unchanged ... but you might see reduced usage.
4. anecdotal ... I don't think they affect eye irritation ... adding salt and correct pH, and no CC reduce eye irritation
5. I guess ... how clear and sparkly do you need ;)

Reasons not to:
1. extra cost
2. struggle with pH and TA adjustments if your top-off water is high in them

Borates are completely optional, but it seems like a lot of newer members want to jump on the bandwagon thinking they are some miracle cure or something.

I would only worry about adding them if the pH drift was a large problem due to SWG, waterfall, etc.

I figured...I'll get the TA down.

I'm adding them for all the positive reasons added in the sticky...seems worth the cost.

So on lowering TA...I understand I need to add the acid an aireate. What's the best way to get the acid into the pool? By that I mean to I just stand over the pool and slowly pour it in, get down close to the pool and pour to minimize splashing, something else? I'm a little concerned about handling that stuff...

jblizzle said:
Borates are completely optional, but it seems like a lot of newer members want to jump on the bandwagon thinking they are some miracle cure or something.
Jason,
I think you are on to something here and I believe it comes from this post, so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html. How this post is written with, "a definite YES!, A RESOUNDING yes!", it seems that borates are the "miracle cure or something".

When I first found TFP, I read a lot of threads, everything in Pool School, and it seemed that borates would be a great addition to my pool. After having borates in the water for two years, I would say that I never did notice anything different other than it took more acid to change my pH per dose, but it cut back how often I dosed by a few days. I might be benefiting from the algaestatic properties, but I can not measure it. I have to rely on the science behind it. As to the other benefits, I can say that no one in our family notices them at all.

I assure you that friends coming to swim notice the effect of borates in my pool. 3 of my friends have pools and they are amazed at the quality of my water. Part of that effect is borates. They have commented on the shimmer. My pH sticks a 7.5 for the season (minor struggle before borates but not too bad). And they made a huge difference to my daughters exzema. I only started borates last year and will never go without them again. If cost is not an issue there's not much reason not to at least try it.
GC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.