First off, this site has proved to be invaluable for someone (like myself) that has been thrust into pool ownership via existing home purchase.
As a newbie, I decided to have the company that installed the pool come out to verify my SWG and Intelliflo pump installation were correct, and to give me a lesson on the pool itself. After everything was said and done, I feel as though I was more the intelligent person in the conversation based on the basics I have picked up here on the site.
The initial visit would also come with a "roadmap" for how to get my pool sparkling in no time. When I asked about some of the details that were apparently left off on their sheet, they informed me that I didn't have to worry about those things right now.
Here is what they handed to me:
1. Add 16 oz of sequestering agent per 10,000 gallons of pool water.
2. Add 4 oz of clarifier per 10,000 gallons of pool water
3. Vacuum any debris from the pool. Run the filter overnight.
1. Add 4 lb of Supersonic shock to pool water
2. Test the Ph and Total Alkalinity.
3. Now begin disinfecting the water by adding Chlorine.
1. To prevent algae from developing, add 8 oz of algicide for every 10,000 gallons of water.
2. (Optional) to prevent the rapid loss of chlorine due to sunlight, add Stabilizer to your water
(shaking head whilst looking at the ground)
All i can say is I'm thankful enough to be able to admit I didn't know anything about pools, but still not pig headed enough to not find the correct answers.
Thanks to all of you for helping make sense of it all!!!!!