Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ...and this came from a "qualified professional"

1. Back To Top    #1

...and this came from a "qualified professional"

First off, this site has proved to be invaluable for someone (like myself) that has been thrust into pool ownership via existing home purchase.

As a newbie, I decided to have the company that installed the pool come out to verify my SWG and Intelliflo pump installation were correct, and to give me a lesson on the pool itself. After everything was said and done, I feel as though I was more the intelligent person in the conversation based on the basics I have picked up here on the site.

The initial visit would also come with a "roadmap" for how to get my pool sparkling in no time. When I asked about some of the details that were apparently left off on their sheet, they informed me that I didn't have to worry about those things right now.

Here is what they handed to me:

Day 1

1. Add 16 oz of sequestering agent per 10,000 gallons of pool water.
    2. Add 4 oz of clarifier per 10,000 gallons of pool water
    3. Vacuum any debris from the pool. Run the filter overnight.

Day 2
    1. Add 4 lb of Supersonic shock to pool water
    2. Test the Ph and Total Alkalinity.
    3. Now begin disinfecting the water by adding Chlorine.

Day 3

1. To prevent algae from developing, add 8 oz of algicide for every 10,000 gallons of water.
    2. (Optional) to prevent the rapid loss of chlorine due to sunlight, add Stabilizer to your water

(shaking head whilst looking at the ground)

All i can say is I'm thankful enough to be able to admit I didn't know anything about pools, but still not pig headed enough to not find the correct answers.

Thanks to all of you for helping make sense of it all!!!!!
    18x36 IG vinyl, Sta-Rite S8D110 DE Filter, Intelliflo VS +SVRS, IC40 SWG, 2 skimmers & 1 main, 1 1/2" plumbing, 2" at pad, Aquabot Turbo T

2. Back To Top    #2

North East Ohio

Re: ...and this came from a "qualified professional"

Yeah it is very scary...I am building a pool and my "Experienced" pool guy still does not understand CYA and Phosphates. This forum is a live saver!
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    DFW, Texas

Knowledge is power!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.