Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suntouch issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Suntouch issue

I have what I think is an issue with my suntouch controller which I believe began last year.

The controller is programmed to run the pump X # of hours per day, turn on the solar valve when heat is available on the roof and finally freeze guard is ON although now we are basically past the danger of any freezing. The issue is the controller turns the pump off for a 1/2 minute or so a couple times per hour. Any suntouch experts out there, is this normal? I do not remember it doing that the first couple of years I have the system.

Thanks!
    12*24, 8,600 gallon vinyl inground, 12*18 H2otsun solar panel, Polaris ATV, 1hp Superpump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suntouch issue

Is it only turning off the pump when the solar valve is turning? I know some controllers do this for pool/spa valves, but not sure about solar valves.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

No, the solar valve remains on with the pump cycling off for a 1/2 minute or so. Doesn't matter if the valve is open or closed either.
    12*24, 8,600 gallon vinyl inground, 12*18 H2otsun solar panel, Polaris ATV, 1hp Superpump

4. Back To Top    #4

Is the motor overheating and shutting itself off ... completely independant of the controller?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Good question. I don't think so but I'll have to check the temps. I did have that motors bearings changed out at the end of last year. However, I had swapped in a different 50% more powerful pump last year and it was doing expectly the same thing.