Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing the pool light

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing the pool light

When attempting to replace the bulb to the pool light, I removed the outer most cover (because I obviously didn't know what I was doing). In doing this an O-ring came off due to dry rot. I have purchased the replacement o-ring, but I want to make sure that I replace it correctly. Should I do anything other than just put it back where I found the dry rotted one? I know now that I don't have to take that off to replace the bulb......a little too late...but.....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing the pool light

Clean any residue from the mating surfaces and treat the ring with a little pool lube.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

okay. Is there something that I can get at Lowes or Home Depot that would be considered "pool" lube. My pool has water in it, will this be a problem? Why do pools make me feel so dang dumb????

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kristiejow
    okay. Is there something that I can get at Lowes or Home Depot that would be considered "pool" lube. My pool has water in it, will this be a problem? Why do pools make me feel so dang dumb????
    A silicon based plumber's lube will work. They should have it at a hardware store.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks John T and Richard! Hopefully I will keep anything from leaking....grrrrr..
    Also thanks for only answering the "obvious" questions!!